Question About Touch-up Paints

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
I plan to buy a bottle of the automotive touch up paint in black to paint some engine parts.

I plan on using my tiny airbrush so I can paint some parts right on the car without removing them (wanted to do Joe's PS reservoir too)

Does anyone know the best solvent/thinner/cleaner to use on those bottle touch up paints? Im assuming they are NOT water-based.

I dont know if "paint thinner" or "mineral spirits" or something else is the preferred agent.

I usually thin the paint down in the sprayer to make it easier to apply, then I need to clean the air brush when finished.

Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

i bought some touch-up paint for my car last year. it was so thin that it kept running down the side of the car where i was trying to touch up.

maybe it was a bad bottle, but it was so thin that i couldn't use it.

if they are all thin like that, then i doubt you need to thin it any more.

:shrug:

BlackVert said:
i bought some touch-up paint for my car last year. it was so thin that it kept running down the side of the car where i was trying to touch up.

maybe it was a bad bottle, but it was so thin that i couldn't use it.

if they are all thin like that, then i doubt you need to thin it any more.

:shrug:
True, but I still need to know what to use to cleant the airbrush...usually the SAME chemical
RC

Ive learned alot working at Sherwin Williams. Is more than likely laquer or xylene. Just read the ingredients, and look for the first solvent you see (Mineral Spirtis/ Paint thinner, xylene, laquer, etc.) If there are no ingredients, just use laquer thinner.

The Green GT said:
Ive learned alot working at Sherwin Williams. Is more than likely laquer or xylene. Just read the ingredients, and look for the first solvent you see (Mineral Spirtis/ Paint thinner, xylene, laquer, etc.) If there are no ingredients, just use laquer thinner.
The ingredient are not listed....Most of those thinning agents are fairly cheap, so I could always test it out first, I just didnt know if one thing was better than something else.

RC

94GTLaserRC said:
The ingredient are not listed....Most of those thinning agents are fairly cheap, so I could always test it out first, I just didnt know if one thing was better than something else.

RC
laquer thinner is more or lessa universal thinner when you arent talking about industrial products. you should be safe with laquer., but that might be over kill. Its more than likely an oil based paint so try paint thinner and see how that works ,if it dosent work good enough, go to laquer thinner.

The Green GT said:
Ive learned alot working at Sherwin Williams.
Good company to work for. I worked at the Chicago Emulsion Plant for a couple years. It was back in '00 that I left there, and I still remember all those darn raw material codes. Sounds like you're working with chemical coatings though? Come to think of it, I even remember some of the Master Rexs for the batches I used to make! :D

StangGT1995 said:
Good company to work for. I worked at the Chicago Emulsion Plant for a couple years. It was back in '00 that I left there, and I still remember all those darn raw material codes. Sounds like you're working with chemical coatings though? Come to think of it, I even remember some of the Master Rexs for the batches I used to make! :D
our store does mostly retail, but we also do some chemical coating with some customers. I hate DIY's.

Why would you buy touch-up paint if all you need is gloss black?

I'm sure if you buy any old black it wil be so close that no one wil be able to tell the difference

joekd said:
Why would you buy touch-up paint if all you need is gloss black?

I'm sure if you buy any old black it wil be so close that no one wil be able to tell the difference

Dude, you gotta read the WHOLE question before you answer::D

ME on the first post said:
I plan on using my tiny airbrush so I can paint some parts right on the car without removing them

I need to be able to pour it into the airbrush
RC