Question about wrongly adjusted rockers

mustangramair

Feb 24, 2004
Iowa
Well i did the H/C/I swap and it runs great but i hear a very loud ticking noise. Because of this i have not driven the car very much. I am trying to decided if this is a leak at the headers or wrongly adjusted pedestal mount rockers. The car runs GREAT. I think i might smell some exhuast in the engine bay but i am not sure. I can hear the ticking at 60 mph, so it is a loud noise. So my question is what can wrongly adjusted rockers do when driving around? Would it do damage to anything. Sorry guys i have been working and have not been able to take off the headers to check for a bad gasket.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey man...sorry about your problems.

Really a wrongly adjusted rocker can give you a couple things...either bad performance (atleast on that cylinder) or an unneeded noise which you are experiencing.

What rpm are you at 60mph? See if the same noise occurs at a similar cruising rpm in a couple other gears.

When I had a header leak I could actually see exhaust coming from gasket...lol.

You could use an engine stethascope to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from by putting in on the valve covers or something to help out and see if you got the point of noise down?

Good Luck...this is more of a "bump" for you than anything...

Usually if they're improperly adjusted, you have performance/starting issues. I see you have trick flow rockers. That could be it. Some aftermarket rockers are just louder. Did you have them before the swap? I put some scorpions on my GT40s, and it was like a sewing machine factory, but it pulled like a raped ape.

Thanks guys, i am taking the headers off tomorrow. I will see if it is a bad gasket or not, i think the noise is way too loud to be valvetrain but we will see. It's loud the whole time, but gets louder as the revs get louder. It starts great and runs AWESOME! It's alot faster than before which leads me to believe they are adjusted correctly. Hopefully i will have an update tomorrow night. :nice:

I replaced the header gaskets today and it still makes the terrible ticking noise. I am guessing it is the rocker arms now. There is a guy around this area that supposedly is good at working on 5.0's. I guess i will just take it to him and see what he thinks. Thanks guys.