question for new york residents

• Sponsors (?)

There is no testing the emissions devices just have to be there when the car is inspected. They don't even have to be working I'm pretty sure. Its not to bad at all.

wow, don't listen to this guy, he obviously doesn't live in NY

emissions is not a visual-only test in NY state (i.e. hollowed out catalytic converters will not work), sensors are hooked up to the tailpipes and a computer system, along with the typical lights, safety, glass, etc.

Actually I live in rochester and for a 1995 or older car there is no sniffer or anything like that and there is no computer hooked up. For OBDII cars the computer is hooked up to the car. The rest of the inspection is safety inspection like normal.

i live on Long Island and work in Manhattan, i'm not sure why emissions standards would be different in upstate NY than they are here, but where i live and work the cars that aren't granted classic or collector status get the sniffer/"emissions dyno"

obviously classic cars only have to pass safety/lights/glass/etc.

I got this from the NY DMV site.

THE LOW-ENHANCED EMISSIONS INSPECTION FOR THE UPSTATE AREA

A 1995 or older model year vehicle, or a vehicle that weighs 8,501 lbs. or more is required to have a low-enhanced emissions inspection if the vehicle:

* Is registered in the Upstate Area, and
* Is not exempt from emissions inspection.

The Upstate Area includes the 53 counties located north of the New York City Metropolitan Area (NYCMA). The NYCMA includes New York City, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Rockland County, and Westchester County. The Upstate Area includes all other counties in NYS.

To conduct a low-enhanced emissions inspection, the inspection station must be licensed by the NYSDMV to conduct NYVIP inspections.

i suppose it makes sense to have stricter emissions laws in one of the most densely populated cities in the world, and have more lax laws upstate where air pollution and smog are less of a problem

to the OP: i'd suggest checking with the local dmv for emissions standards in the area of NY you are looking to move to, good luck :flag:

Thats not fair that upstate hillbilly land gets easier emissions rules. But like I said, if you know people your car doesn't even have to leave the driveway to pass with flying colors ;)