Questions for Head swap people

CanadaStang

Sep 7, 2003
Mb
Anyone have any horror stories from doing the Pi Head swap to your pre 99' Mustang? I'm wanting to get the Pi Head Swap Kit from Parkway Ford, and I want to do all the research I can before I jump in with both feet.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reply Saleen201! Were you happy with the results from the head swap? How did your car run after the swap? Did you have to get a dyno tune after the install?
I checked your garage, Nice car :nice:

CanadaStang said:
Thanks for the reply Saleen201! Were you happy with the results from the head swap? How did your car run after the swap? Did you have to get a dyno tune after the install?
I checked your garage, Nice car :nice:

Yes i am very happy with it, and it is well worth the money. But i will suggest that you get some P&P heads while you are replacing them. You will only bennifit in the long run. Look into VT heads (i can get you more info if you would like).

The car isnt running perfect, i just did the swap a week or two ago. I still need to install the second coolant temp sensor and get a tune. I cant wait to get the tune, it should really get the most out of the head swap. I will put it on a dyno and get some numbers after the tune so keep and eye out for the thread.

-Mike

CanadaStang said:
Anyone have any horror stories from doing the Pi Head swap to your pre 99' Mustang? I'm wanting to get the Pi Head Swap Kit from Parkway Ford, and I want to do all the research I can before I jump in with both feet.
I've been running 2K heads and intake since May of '01 and my car has run perfectly, even before the custom chip. If you've got the dough go ahead and have the machine work, cams, valves, etc. done now and not deal with it later. I've bought a few things from Parkway over the years and have had excellent luck with them.

I agree with Saleen201 to look into P&P heads or aftermarket cams. I don't think I would have been pleased with the results had I not done cams and if I were to do it again, I would have saved a little more for P&P heads.
Edit:I forgot to mention the only problem I had after the headswap was a rough idle, which was later fixed with a tune. Since the the car has been running fine.

SR 97 GT said:
I agree with Saleen201 to look into P&P heads or aftermarket cams. I don't think I would have been pleased with the results had I not done cams and if I were to do it again, I would have saved a little more for P&P heads.
Edit:I forgot to mention the only problem I had after the headswap was a rough idle, which was later fixed with a tune. Since the the car has been running fine.
When you say that you don't think you would have been happy with just the stock pi heads,does that mean the hp increase isn't that great for the amount of money and work involved?
I know you are right about looking into P&P heads, I'd rather put them on now, as opposed to having to pull it apart again, the next time I start wanting more hp.
Thanks again for all your help!

Les

Well the headswap gives you a lot of power. The only other way your going to see significant hp out of a 96-98 4.6 is with a supercharger. Honestly for the price I paid (had to pay for install also because I don't have the resources to do it myself) I was a little dissapointed with the results. For another $500 or so I could have had a supercharger installed. I also have a automatic and that robbed me of a lot of HP. I've seen people with PI heads/intake and VT stage 1 cams make 270-280 RWHP while I'm making around 240's, hopefully more since I got a SCT tune. Despite being a little dissapointed by the numbers I put down, I would still recommend the swap to anyone.
Do it and don't look back :nice:

SR 97 GT said:
Well the headswap gives you a lot of power. The only other way your going to see significant hp out of a 96-98 4.6 is with a supercharger. Honestly for the price I paid (had to pay for install also because I don't have the resources to do it myself) I was a little dissapointed with the results. For another $500 or so I could have had a supercharger installed. I also have a automatic and that robbed me of a lot of HP. I've seen people with PI heads/intake and VT stage 1 cams make 270-280 RWHP while I'm making around 240's, hopefully more since I got a SCT tune. Despite being a little dissapointed by the numbers I put down, I would still recommend the swap to anyone.
Do it and don't look back :nice:
I'm thinking it's going to cost me about 3 grand, living in Canada, with the dollar difference and shipping, also been super busy at work so I was thinking on just taking it to the Ford dealer. I called around and couldn't find a garage that has ever even herd of anyone doing the headswap, let alone do one.
Thanks for taking the time to post all the great advice, :nice: Very much appreciated.

Les