Quick gear question: 1998 5spd Gt, leather, 17 inchers...3:27's?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
I thought if my memory served me right, that the 98 Gt's that came with the 17in. wheels and a 5spd got 3:27's automatically?

I'm looking at one right now, just curious if it has them? What is the door code to find out?

• Sponsors (?)

5spd GT said:
I thought if my memory served me right, that the 98 Gt's that came with the 17in. wheels and a 5spd got 3:27's automatically?

I'm looking at one right now, just curious if it has them? What is the door code to find out?
Mine had 3.27s and it has cloth int and 16's stock. Ford does weird stuff on the assembly line. Check the axle tag to be sure! Should say 3_L 2_ 7

EDIT: my door tag says "E" for axle code.

I'm just looking for the most potential out of it stock;)

I figure it does, but I will find out...if/when I go to drive it.

I just figured since the car appears to be loaded, that it has that option...but we all know what assuming does...to a point.

On the '98 GT, once you get 17" wheels stock... you get no speed limiter.

The 3.27 is an OPTION (they get at least a 3.08 on a manual) but if it was fully loaded like mine was with ALL the options (except ABS), it has the 3.27. I think with my SC mod coming up, I'm going to stay with my 3.27 before I consider a 3.55 or a 3.73. We'll see... how it all holds up after 70K (hit it today).

:SNSign:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this has 3:27's.

Guys, I'm not asking for gear advice...I'll make that up on my own:) I'm just wanting this as a car to put around in, in daily driving.

I believe the 3:27's are just fine for either car. Performance enthusiast like most of us are, aren't the only one's that buy these cars...think about that before saying "don't fear the gear." Ford didn't put the 3:27's in to cut performance or lessen the fun. They did it for practical reasons...and I'm glad.

Jason - It will be soon...:)

The axle code says ME on it. The rpms show it is 3:27's.