Quick ? on Alt. wiring.

minne5.0ta

Apr 21, 2005
Minnesota
Hello everyone, New guy here. I did a search for alternator wiring and went through all 8 pages trying to find my answer to my question without success. I replaced my alt in my 83 yesterday and noticed how shatty my wiring looked. I wanted to rewire it. I noticed (2) wires coming out of the D connector to a rubber insulated block which mounts to the back of the alternator. But the alternator had three wires hooked up to it. It has BAT, FLD and STA. The BAT and FLD lead back to the D connector but the STA (white/black) went into the rubber insulated block but didn't come out to anything. Does this lead need to go to anything other than the electric choke? Can I leave this wire disconnected from the Alt. since my electric choke is getting power from somewhere else? Or should I run a straight lead from the STA terminal to the choke? I just got this car a week ago and have not gotten real familier with it yet. I'm not sure what kind of power source to the choke is needed for Holley street avenger carb. My biggest question is Does this white/blk lead from the STA terminal need to go any where else and can I just leave it disconnected?
Thank you in advance.

• Sponsors (?)