quick "Overheating" question

96s281

Founding Member
Sep 17, 2002
I did a couple of different searches but most of the overheating questions weren't in the 4.6 section, so I figured I'd give it a shot here...

Car temp radically increases when idling (i.e. going from the "R" to the "L" on the NORMAL gauge when just sitting at a red light for more than 30 seconds). I don't believe my fan is coming on at all unless I put my a/c on. When I do put it on, the temp gradually goes back to the "R" and stays that way until the next prolonged stop.

As long as the a/c is on, the temp gauge is fine, even at prolonged stops. I still have my stock thermometer, which is crap from what I understand. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

A simple way to rule out the fan, bring the car up to temp, while parked somewhere, pop the hood and watch to see if the fan comes on. If it doesn't I'd be suspect of a bad fuse or electrical connection. The only other thing I could think of would be a faulty temperature sending unit. See if you can pull a code for it (it may or may not trigger the service engine light).

Good luck :nice:

Jinx102672 said:
A simple way to rule out the fan, bring the car up to temp, while parked somewhere, pop the hood and watch to see if the fan comes on. If it doesn't I'd be suspect of a bad fuse or electrical connection. The only other thing I could think of would be a faulty temperature sending unit. See if you can pull a code for it (it may or may not trigger the service engine light).

Good luck :nice:

Thanks for the quick reply Jinx....I took it to my mechanic last year when it was showing the same symptoms and he swore nothing was wrong and the fan came on when it should've. Since then I got a new radiator and water pump, so I'm thinking I can rule those out, but who knows.

one thing to know is 1996 had a TSB for overheating issues and Im not saying togo out and spend $1k on the kit but 1 thing Ford did in 1997 and 1998 was to delete the honeycomb grill behind the pony emblem to help promote better air flow to the rad. next step would to put a larger radiator in place of the stocker, I did this on my 1996 Gt a few years ago and no more problems but mines not a "street car" anymore

I'll tell you exactly what your problem is...you have a faulty Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor. The fan is not coming on when it is supposed to come on. As the water temp rises, this sensor is supposed to have a lower resistance. You can check the resistance with a volt/ohm meter.

The fan come on by default when the AC is turned on, so leave the AC on until you test and replace this sensor. A new sensor should be less than $20.

Bill

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I think I'm gonna let it run in the driveway until it gets hot to see if the fan comes on, and then take it from there. Thanks again for the help :nice:

Another thing, just to help the situation, clean out your radiator really good. My buddy's car was running really hot and he took it to the car wash and powersprayed the hell out of his radiator. It was pretty dirty...anyway his car is running fine now. Worth a shot if nothing else works...

saleen556 said:
I agree with WARMENT.It sounds like the ect.Cheap fix.

Well, I let the car run when I got home and the fan did come on right as the gauge went to the "A", so it did take a while. I think I might get that ECT anyway if it's only a couple bucks.

Is it normal for the fan to come on so late?

Mine was overheating at stops too. Didn't know what the hell the problem was. Fan wasn't coming on anymore. Took in to my buddies dealership and found out that the connector that plugs into the back of the fan had somehow come loose. As soon as he plugged it back in, the fan kicked on. Check that first.