Quick question about cylinder heads...

• Sponsors (?)

Appreciate it guys, but I actually just called Ford because everyone I asked literally gave a different answer (left, right, interchangeable).

Word is: They are NOT interchangeable. One side of the head has intake ports and spark plugs and the other has exhaust ports. Then one end is machined for the cam sprocket/timing chain. You can't just move it over or flip it around because nothing will line up or the cam sprocket would face the firewall (good luck with that). They have two different part numbers as well.

As for which is left/right. It is as you are sitting in the car, so driver is left and passenger is right.

you may want to edit you post because the way it reads makes no sense. both sides have exhaust ports, intake ports, and spark plugs

M-6049-P46** Right Hand
M-6050-P46** Left Hand

your are correct two part numbers. I would think if the timing chain access is only machined in one side this would work itself out quite easy. cam sprocket goes towards the front of the engine. I would bet the part numbers are on the head somewhere so left and right will be known. once you figure out if left is pass or diver you would be home free.

all the post above are right in their own way but to really say which one is which it depends from where you are looking the motor itself. I as a mechanic view it as if i was sitting in the drivers seat, so that would leave the passenger side head as the right one... the driver side head as the left one.

Well... I was just told that the heads are identical and have bolt holes for the chain guide and everything on both ends. So basically there is just two different part numbers because they're pre-assembled as such.

Wow there's a lot of confusion about these things. lol