Quick Question about my alternator blowing up

93GreenLX

Founding Member
Aug 22, 2002
Southern Maryland
I installed so glo gauges in my dash today and then went to pick up my brother in law. On the way back I saw that my voltage gauge had no reading. Then the car stalled out. Dead battery. Got jumped and drove 2/10's of a mile. I here a loud pop and everything goes dead. I go get a trailor and disconnect the belts and alternator power. Charge the car real quick put it on the trailor and get it home. When conectting the glo gauges I used a black wire for power and a brown for hot. Both were from the back of the headlight assembly. Is this coincidence or could I have blown it because of the gauges. The second time we tried to jump before getting the trailor the alternator got really hot and started smoking. I smelled a burnung smell right before it cut out the first time. I have a 200amp alternator and a 200 amp circuit breaker hooked to it. The breaker popped the first time but not the second. I think that's all the details you should need if not let me know.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah it's dead, burnt up. If I mixed something up in the dash though, would it be possible that it would cause it to be killed. pa-performance has a new one that will be here tuesday for me. I want to make sure I don't blow up this next one too.