Quick...Why is "Dogbone" loose?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
I was working on my car and seen that the "dogbone" was loose and I could lift it up over an inch until it met with the differential...Is it supposed to do that? I have 373's and I have heard you don't need them after gears...what should I do...Thanks in advance :nice:

David

• Sponsors (?)

I have noticed for instance if I'm going 70 or faster and put the shifter in neutral as I'm slowing down there is a pretty consistent vibration in the shifter...I wonder if this is caused by the "hanging" dogbone.... :shrug: If it is I'm going to take it off....since it is practically hanging down an inch...

Thanks for the reply sleeper89

David

Sure, I would pull it off and test drive it. If that doesnt help, try flipping your drive shaft 180 degrees. Its something else you can try for free and see if it helps any. I didnt read your sig, but an alum. DS might be a good investment if you havent got one yet. Its usually the DS if the vibration gets worse in nuetral. I have experience with that, mine twisted.

The dogbone isn't essential, especially if you have installed gears. Just bolt the bracket back up without the dogbone on it, I heard that the bracket needs to stay, but the dogbone can come off.

Vibrations with 3.73 gears are almost always caused by the driveshaft, as the previous poster mentioned, pick up an aluminum unit.

Mavrick said:
Could anybody else assure that the dog bone BRACKET has to stay when the dog bone is removed?

I don't remember a specific bracket...just remember it kind of sandwiching around the differential. Two bolts and one piece comes off from the top, one from the bottom as best as I recall.

Sure, I would pull it off and test drive it. If that doesnt help, try flipping your drive shaft 180 degrees. Its something else you can try for free and see if it helps any. I didnt read your sig, but an alum. DS might be a good investment if you havent got one yet. Its usually the DS if the vibration gets worse in nuetral. I have experience with that, mine twisted.

Does the vibration only increase in a manual transmission whe placed in nuetral or will a Automatic display this symptom as well?

69restomod said:
Does the vibration only increase in a manual transmission whe placed in nuetral or will a Automatic display this symptom as well?

I dont' really know an answer to your question...I would assume you could feel it in a manual more...but who knows :shrug:

Thanks guys...I guess I'm going to take it off and see what it does...vibrations wise...

David

You can put an auto in nuetral also and see if the vibration gets worse. It should feel worse at an even speed or in nuetral. Having a load on it (acceleration, or deceleration) tends to dampen the vibrations coming from the driveshaft.