"R" Model Aluminum Window Frames for Plexi

outlaw66

Apr 1, 2005
Flowood, Ms
:shrug: I am trying to locate some drawings for fabrication / installation of the "R" model racing aluminum window frames used with plexiglass side windows. The frames are available for the Fastback cars but I have not been able to locate these frames for a coupe. I would like to fabricate some and have a partial drawing for the installation, showing screw locations beneath the vent window, but nothing else. I would also like to have the aluminum frame material dimensions. I also have some poor copies of 2 pages of the "Shelby" ..."Plexiglas window frame installation..Mustang Door" that are almost unreadable. Does anyone have any readable drawings they would be willing to copy and more importantly, the materials list with dimension specifics.
I'm sure someone on this site has fabricated/installed these frames? Any feedback on fabrication or installation appreciated.

Outlaw66

• Sponsors (?)

Are you trying to replicate an exact match? As if Shelby had built an R model coupe? Or are you just trying to put plexi side glass in a coupe?

Also, don't use plexi, use Lexan and there are a couple companys making scratch resistant Lexan.

I realize there was no "R" model coupe and I have no intention of using Plexiglass. I'm also not looking for an exact match, I just want to investigate the possibility of adding aluminum frames with Lexan to a coupe, although I believe that Shelby did actually produce some coupe racers with aluminun frames and plexi side glass. I'm not sure about that but i believe that to be correct. I think the only openings actually covered were the quarter windows and vents and not the window glass. Primarily what I was looking for is the glass thickness, frame material dimensions and a decent drawing of the installation. Fabricating side frames for a coupe to me would seem to be much easier than for a fastback because the coupe side windows are more square. Any and all feedback appreciated.

Outlaw

Attachments

• lowes024a540x3151du.jpg
    lowes024a540x3151du.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 162
Well, I don't think you'll find a deep enough channel to replicate it. I'd just use 3/4" aluminum strip and put it on both sides of the lexan.

Are you wanting the window to operate? If so, I've had friends with drag cars that just put in Lexan that was the same, or near the same, thickness of the glass in the stock frames.

Thanks Historic and 1320 for the replies.
HM...I have seen some pics of the frames in the "R" Models but no real detail shots as to how they are actually fabbed up and attached. As previously stated I have some poor drawings of the attachments in the forward part of the door under the vent frame but nothing as to whether the "glass" is actually in a channel (which I believe to be the case) or just attached to the frame as 1320 suggested. Frames for fastbacks can be purchased now but obviously they won;t fit my coupe so I ain;t buying just to see them. I have a vision of what I "Think" they may look like but was just trying to get a better picture of some detail. I "think" the side windows in the "R" model went up and down but am not sure about that. My intention was to fab some window perimeter frames with a fixed vent and quarter "glass" with the side "glass" manually activated by a front and back strap that slides into the door panel and attaches to the lower "glass" support on the bottom and the other end with an aluminum bar that has two "catches", one for window up and another for window down. I like the look, am not concerned about a little wind noise, and after removing all the window mechanisms from both doors, I'm sure there would be a considerable weight savings.
1320.....good question....I would like for the side glass to operate as indicated above so a "fixed" drag type solution was not what I was wanting to end up with. I may attempt to purchase some frame "installation instructions" from the frame vendors just to get an idea of what I'm getting into here. I really appreciate your guys feedback on this.
Historic...glad you're back. I know you're racing guys with these aluminum frames in their fastbacks....would you have any detail pics?
Thanks again guys.

Outlaw

I know in the old days they'd use leather belts and buckles to raise and lower side glass.

I think most of the R-model stuff I've seen with side glass, the windows are fixed as the wing windows are part of the main window. I'll be at the Tulsa Shelby meet in June and I'll take a look and ask around.

Cheapsk8 is a SAAC dude, he'd probably know.

Outlaw, the R-Models did actually use a strap to raise and lower the side "glass". I will try to get up a photograph as this was researched when mine was constructed in the mid-90's.

I have seen a Coupe with the same set up at the track but no pics. The small rear side glass replaced would look nice in a track car so keep up the hunt!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com/tech.html

1320...if you could ask cheapsk8 when you're at Tulsa/Halett for any info, that would be great, and even better if you could get some pics or a lead to some data. Thanks
HM:hail2: ...I will keep up the hunt and if you ever see the race coupe again and have access to a digital camera, pics would be great . You don;t think the coupe owner has a web site or anything do ya? With maybe some pics and/or contact info?
I THOUGHT the side glass was operational in the "R" models but having never seen one, I was only guessing. I have searched the internet for info on "R" models and stuff is out there but nothing I could find addressed the plexi frames.
You indicated your car was built in the 90's and you had done some research on the same thing....do you have the frames w plexi/lexan side windows in your race car?
..............thanks guys

Outlaw

outlaw66 said:
347 fastback....I kinda get the same feeling about it being touchy. Whatz up with that? Thanks for the info. I'll call Mike, I also just located some for a coupe at Delta. Thanks guys

Outlaw
Yes Delta is the place and I have told you the source where they come from. Mike is cool, but the vendors do not like others to know about the source some times... Mike use to prep Shelby cars for Delta bay and now is located in my neck of the woulds. he prepped my 65 fastback over the last year with torque boxes, global west subframes and whatever else the suspension needed... I spent 10K and very close to having her back on the street... I also got shelby quick steer, custom raditor support and radiator, the list is long but the work is awesome. Here is a link to some of the work Mike has done that I have on my site. Enjoy and let me know what you think.http://whittz.com/v-web/gallery/Mike

More:

http://whittz.com/v-web/gallery/VintageFord

You guys are great. Those pics are just what I was looking for. .....347, Yep, Mike was a super cool guy and your car,,,,,WOW,,,,,outstanding. I really enjoyed talking with Mike, and he informed me he was working on a web site and to check back. Regardless, I've made a new contact,learned some things, and have some great pics to use as a build sheet. Appreciate the help!

Outlaw