Race with LS1 Trans Am. Not Pretty...

crazykid2056

Banned
Apr 27, 2005
Ran into a '98 Trans Am (base not Ram-Air) with some kid at the helm (pretty scary). He reved so I figured what the hell. We went at green and I pulled 1/4 car length before 2nd, while in third though the Big Pig Trans Am started pulling. It seemed like as the mph went up, the T/A kept pulling harder and harder. After 90mph he had pulled about three car lengths ahead and we shut down.

we pulled over and he was cool. His T/A had 120,000 miles, auto with air lid and SLP Loudmouth only. I didn't think a near stock LS1 would pull that hard against my Cobra. Dang :shrug: .

-------------
'01 Mustang Cobra
-Flowmaster mufflers, UPR o/r x-pipe, Free Mod's, MAC cold air intake

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah those are tough to run down. They have a big advantage down low and in the mid-range over your cobra. If you would have had some gears to get your cobra revving, you would have been better able to showcase your car's abilities which is middle & top end power, and it would have been a close one.

chuckstang95 said:
98 was not even an ls1 correct?
that sux dude, those should not beat a 99plus cobra
Incorrect, '98 was the first year for them. The LS1 makes most of it's power in the upper RPMs. That's why we can get a good launch on them, but those motors just PULLLL and don't quit. Plus, if that thing was breathing better with the SLP mods, I am not surprised he got by you. The LS1 is a serious engine, even in a non-WS6 (ram air) Trans Am. I think the ram air package only adds ~10 hp anyway. My friend has a '94 Z28 with the LT1, with something like 135,000 miles on it, and it still runs tough. He has some mods done to it, and it pulls like a champ. Too bad he can't beat me though :D .

Yeh I raced a buddy's 02 Z28 with LS1 from a roll three times. The best I did was from 60mph in 2nd gear and stayed about 2-3 cars back. Gears are our answer! How many miles on you car? Your IMRC's might be getting some carbon build up on them.

Raced an 02 Camaro turbo charged LS1 a few weeks back. From 35mph to about 115mph, got him by a 1/2 a car then we shut it down. I didn't pull away until about 105mph though. Otherwise we were dead even. He was only pushing 7lbs of boost. LS1's are no joke.

weird, i ran a ls1 transam a few weeks back at the track, and although he was 6 tenths faster ET-wise (with a 50 shot), i still got him :D what can i say I have awesome driving skills. I treed that dude bad. Maybe you need to quit sleeping at the light (just messing lol) ;)

Real Quick, not to swift r we?

Mmm.. I'm not a kid, have two children, An '01 Cobra, '05 GT, '79 Malibu with a 383 stroker (which I put together myself) and an '87 GN which is my current project car. Should I list my Daily Drivers now, :lol:

I must admit that RealQuick has a point there crazykid. You posted what appears to be two races against a '98 TA. One in your Cobra and one in your LX that's pushing a WHOPPING 23lbs of boost! You lost in both races... So what gives? Your credibility is going down the crapper very quickly...

U.M.

crazykid2056 said:
Real Quick, not to swift r we?

Mmm.. I'm not a kid, have two children, An '01 Cobra, '05 GT, '79 Malibu with a 383 stroker (which I put together myself) and an '87 GN which is my current project car. Should I list my Daily Drivers now, :lol:
im not gonna post again so go look at what I said in 5.0 talk. Thanks alot

I ran a Z28 Convertible (98) on the highway and it was a close match. In the end I pulled ahead, but not by much. The 95 GT that was with me got lost in the shuffle though.

I run a stock 97 COBRA with shifter, CAI, and Flowmasters. The Z-car had flows and an air box lid.

LS1's are still strong. I used to lose to them all the time in my Cobra before the blower. After the blower I haven't lost to one yet, except for the time I ran into a Nitrous Conv. Corvette at Milan dragway...hehe...he ran 10.30 at 131MPH!!! Anyways, I do notice all the time though that those cars always bounce rev limiters!!! What is with that, don't those guys know how to drive?? I remeber one time I had a stock 92 Mustang GT and killed an SS, because he bounced the limiter 2 times!! The kid made an excuse like the cam in the car was too big and the tuning was off. I just think the guy couldn't drive well. I do understand though if the car was in good running condition stock or modded, that he would have killed my old 92 GT. It is all in good fun though! :flag:

chrisbudl1 said:
that is the same thing I hear, once you get up there in speed, the ls1 engines pull harder. haven't raced one though. a v6 camaro revved at me today, why??????????

They rev at everybody, I always had them trying me in my LT1 T/A...that whole Napolean thingy I guess :shrug: