raced a camaro ss LS1

everynameistake

Nov 22, 2004
well to day i had some time to blow befor my MMA class, so i was on my way to best buy to screw around. i pull up to a light with a focus, no big deal. well he had intensions of racing so i get on it for a bit just enough so he doesnt go around bragging about beating a 5.0. to my saprise there was an camaro ss that shot right up on my ass. he cuts by the focus and pull up next to me and i ask if he wants to run. his reply was "alright go whenever you want". so me trying to be fairbecause i wanted to see what my car would do agenst him. so i taped the throttle to get him to jump ( in 2nd at 3k. about 30mph) well he go and im WOT for a sec it was neck and neck at the top of 2nd i have about 1/2 a car and i keep pulling and at the end of 3rd its about 2cl and went a little in to 4th and at the end it was a solid 2-3 cl.
i was very impressed with my car cause i had sold some mods this year and i was worried about LS1s.
any ways told him nice car and nice run.

• Sponsors (?)

pretty cool, I had a z28 try to mess with me the other day, came around a turn at a light we were the first too, so I shifted early into 2nd and we both hit it i was alittle ahead and he kinda jumped closer and was pulling but we let off at 4th gear, his front tire was probably at my front bumper so he would have kept pulling but I dont think he expected me to keep up that close. I heard a very loud exhaust on it, but I saw it wasent true duals.

Hmm makes me wonder how slow some LS1 out there are. I wouldnt think higher 13 second cars would be walking them by that many lengths... I doubt my car would put 2-3 cars on an LS1.

Lucky you must have caught a bad driver, a really bad driver.

Yes Im going to say you probably raced an LT1 or other newer body style Fbody. An LS1 vs a 5.0 with your mods would be a win for the LS1. Unless the driver had NO idea what he was doing, I cant see your car beating one. I had similar mods to you without the cam (which wouldnt do much anyway) and was running 13.0s @ 102-103 (on slicks) and would have never messed with an LS1. From a roll race an LS1 is a handful for even a HCI Mustang. Be interesting to find out if it was an LS1, and if so whether your car was that fast, or his was that slow.

25thmustang said:
Yes Im going to say you probably raced an LT1 or other newer body style Fbody. An LS1 vs a 5.0 with your mods would be a win for the LS1. Unless the driver had NO idea what he was doing, I cant see your car beating one. I had similar mods to you without the cam (which wouldnt do much anyway) and was running 13.0s @ 102-103 (on slicks) and would have never messed with an LS1. From a roll race an LS1 is a handful for even a HCI Mustang. Be interesting to find out if it was an LS1, and if so whether your car was that fast, or his was that slow.

i know the difference between a LT1 and a LS1 camaro. i have race a camaro SS LT1 my friend has one its an auto and its not far behind the LS1. belive whatever you want. but i pulled on a LS1 camaro SS from a roll and pulled befor any shifting was done so unless he cant go WOT, i won fair.

i also have raced an auto Z28 LS1 with exhaust and from a roll it was dead even and from a dig he would get me at the launch. this was befor suspension. i think from a dig now would be even.

everynameistake said:
and with the mods i have i ran consistant 13.3s at 105 according to a Gtech

I was about to post, take her to a track, but a Gtech will be alright for now. My guess is the Gtech is off a tenth or two (whether high or low, they are usually off some) and high by at least a few mph (always high). Maybe the LS1s in your area are slow, because even a 105 mph trap at a race track (I should know, I trap 107-108 on radials) wont be knocking down LS1s from a roll. At least not where I live.

Oh well congrats. Just dont expect to be taking them down all the time. Hell I beat a C5 Vette back when I was running 14s, and was happy as a pig in ****, but I can assure you, I knew my car was not as fast as them!

25thmustang said:
Ls1 cars run 13.20s to 13.8s in factory trim :shrug: why wouldnt you mess with one?