Radiator And or Water Pump Replacement

Hi Stangers,

I need some opinions. I have a stock 1993 GT and I definately have to change out the radiator ok no problem can do that. I was wondering should I or should'nt I replace the water pump and thermostat since the radiator is going to be out of the car.

My stang is stock has over 138k miles on it, nothing has EVER been done to the engine...the water pump is fine, but I was just thinking since I was in the area of the water pump and since my car is so high mileage that I could change it now to prevent it going out later, but on the other hand why bust into your engine if you don't have too? The water pump has never been changed would'nt it be a preventative maintenance thing to change it out too?

On the other hand I really don't wanna fool with it, but I will. What would you all do change it out or leave what's not broken alone. Like i said I am the only owner and the engine has never been opened. the cooling system is fine save for the radiator. Should I go the extra mile or just do the radiator and leave well enough alone. Also can anyone offer and tricks or tidbits to changing out the water pump and thermostat should I go that way.

Thank You In Advance :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Before you pull the radiator, do a system backflush. You may want to have it done professionally unless you have an air compressor. This will avoid the use of chemicals to flush it. The idea is to get all the junk out of the motor so it doesnt clog you new rad.

On the WP, its up to you. I might change it if I planned to keep the car a long time. You got 130k out of it, how much farther can it go? On the other hand, those bolts have not been turned it a very long time and there is a good chance they will snap off, unless you are really good at removing this sort of stuff. Here again, an impact and compressor would be a big help. If you change it, use a brand new one not a reman. And run a tap through the threads, also use anti-seize on the threads when you re-assemble. New bolts may be necessary as well, its a good idea to change them.

Just did my water pump...it went after 150k. Got a new one, not rebuilt, for like $30-40 or somethin'. It was no problem with the radiator in. Just have to remove the fan and accessory bracket to get to it. DO beware of those bolts though. Mine were pretty rusted although came out without breaking 'em. Clean up the old gasket well and treat the bolts and you'll be good to go.

Like the others above said... I would get new WP bolts and be very careful not to break them off. I think this is pretty common, happened to me also. Mine did not break at the threded part of the bolt but in the middle of the bolt... Where it goes through the timing cover. Be sure to use lots of anti-sieze on the bolts when putting them back in.