Radiator Question

Stangboi4444

Jul 13, 2016
I have a 1970 mustang and need a new radiator. I have tried to read around and can't determine which would be best. To further complicate things, the prices range from$150 to like $400. While I want to get a good radiator, I also don't have a ton of money. Any suggestions would be great and reasoning for the suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have problems with overheating with my old radiator and would like to avoid that with this new one. Thank you so much.

• Sponsors (?)

It would pay to try to determine the cause of the overheating, IMO, before buying a new radiator, unless of course it's leaking. 1970 year I'm not real familiar with, but if a new radiator is decided upon, I would consider several factors. Condition of the coolant can be a tip-off; is it very old, is it relatively clean-looking? Second, engine size, you did not mention. Big engines need big radiators. If space permits, upscaling the replacement radiator to more rows of core is not a bad idea. Check the mounting of the radiator, if leaking, force applied to radiators by flexing of mounting parts can destroy their sealing integrity. Replacing the radiator simply to remedy an overheating problem will only be successful if the old one is partially clogged. imp

It will be a 289. It had a 289 with cracked cylinder heads and a bad radiator. I would eventually like to put a 351w striker but idk the feasibility of that. I have heard that griffin radiators are good and that 2 rows with 1" or more aluminum pipes are best to get