Radio Only Has Sound In The Morning (what...???)

interceptor7

Aug 11, 2006
So, just as the tile says, my radio only has sound in the mornings when I drive to work! In the afternoon (I typically only drive my Mustang to/from work), the radio turns on but there's no sound to the speakers. WTF...???

A bit of background:

Car is a '93 GT. When I bought it about 15 years ago, it had an Alpine stereo already installed. Some time ago, it stopped working. I messed around with it, but couldn't get it to work (it would turn on but no sound). Part of the problem is that whoever had originally installed it had butchered the crap out of the wiring. Anyways, I really didn't have much time to sink in it, and it wasn't a huge priority to me, so I left it alone.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I had some free time, so I decided to poke around and see if I could get it working. I found some wiring diagrams, and got some things hooked up. Due to the damage to the harness, I had to do direct connections, at least temporarily. As it currently stands, I have the constant and switched power wires connected directly to the corresponding ones in the harness, and the ground to a bolt on the tranny tunnel. I connected to rear speakers directly, bypassing the harness (i've left the other speakers alone for now).

Well, it worked! The stereo turned on and I had sound. Next day, still working when I drove to work. When I left work, no sound (display is on, etc.). This has been the pattern for the last few days: radio works fine in the morning, but no sound to the speakers in the afternoon. LOL

I've read all I could on the commonly-found issues in these cars. The biggest thing seems to be the factory amps, but my radio is wired directly. Besides, if it wasn't it shouldn't work at all. Any ideas???

• Sponsors (?)

Crutchfield Customer Support – Online Support Center
They are very good with car radios & stereo systems. If they can't help you fix it, they have excellent prices & selection for a replacement radio.
Ford Radio Harness wiring.gif