Ram hydraulic throwout bearing

68Jcode

Founding Member
Jan 28, 1999
Hi guys,

I'm in the planning stages of my C4 to T5 swap, and I came across this Ram hydraulic throwout bearing for Ford T5's, Ram P/N 78130.

http://www.ramclutches.com/zen-cart..._result&search_in_description=1&keyword=78130

Does anyone have experience with this unit? Install looks pretty straightforward, and the price isn't too bad, considering it includes the throwout bearing, slave cylinder, and you don't need to buy / fab any bracketry for the slave. Also, no need to buy a steel bearing retainer.

Just curious if anyone knows how well they hold up.

Thanks,

Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

I like the looks of it, along with the price. What I didn't see, and have to assume, is that it is used with a street type of clutch. In othe words, don't different brand/types of pressure plates have different stack heights? Because I'm assuming the throw of the bearing is fixed, it has to be used with a FRPP type of clutch and you take your chances with another brand of clutch. Just something to ponder.....:shrug:

Adjustment

The RAM kit has several shims that you use to fine tune the adjustment. Basically take measurement from bellhousing to the clutch fingers and trans side of the bell, and make some calculations to figure out what shim stack to use.