random thought

Nothing wrong with that, need more people like you

19785341.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I actually never cared much for Foxes until the early 2000's when I was 20. I come from a Ford hating GM family, and I never really was into cars until I discovered my 70 Dart. A little later on I worked with a guy that had a Strawberry Red 89 LX 5 speed that was in excellent shape. I always thought they were slow (well they are, but I digress), I was so impressed with the car that I started wanting one for myself. He put it up for sale and unfortunately I couldn't afford it being in school at the time. He traded it to a guy who had it trashed inside of three months. Couple years later I found my first one that was almost exactly like the 89 that I missed out on, in my fervor to get it I overlooked a lot of problems on the car and bought it. To shorten up a long story I put a bunch of money into it, sold it, regretted it, and now have my 91 as a replacement.

I remember buying my second Fox in 1994. I bought a red 1993 notch 5.0 5 speed LX. I paid 12 k for it and it had 11k miles on it. I loved that car, but for some reason I thought I needed a truck. That's why I found my 93 vert a few months ago. I really miss that car. I think I will always have one from now on. I got sick of the hard to find parts for my 66 and 67 fairlanes and hated not having A/C. I'm getting a bit older now and kinda wimpy, so this vert is my new "old" car. I will find some pics of my notch the day I bought it, and scan them.

I bought my first Mustang in 1987. It was a nice silver 82 put headers and dual exhaust on it and totaled it. Found a 79 pace car with a blown engine used the 82's engine drove it for 2 years and sold it in minot, ND. I'm on my 4th one now and 42 yrs old. I will never get rid of this one. still miss my 1st one though. My father is 63 and he has a 92 convertible, 88 Iroc, fiero and a 70 chevelle.

Ah I love reading all these stories! I have had 5 foxes in my lifetime from the age of 17 until present (i'm 29, turning 30 in Steptember). My first car at 16 was an 88 Firebird Formula. I got that in 1997. Right after I bought it (i'm talking like, the next day) a neighbor bought a Red, 1993 GT Hatch. Ever since then, i've been in love with the Fox. Shortly after i got my first. It was an 86 Gt T-top and it was the biggest POS ever but i LOVEDDDD it. I did so much in and with that car..

My current 1992 Hatch i've had the longest out of them all. Before that, it was the 86. Some I parted (the 86). Others i got into a debt hole and sold (i had a 1990 mustang GT i rebuilt). And others, i sold for reasons i wish i could take back (i had my ultimate fox - a 1990 Coupe thus my name. Sold that to get married, only to have my wife divorce me clear out of the blue 2 years later).

What I know is my situation, and what I see locally.

For me, I never liked any Mustang made after 1973.
The "classics" were all around me growing up, including my father owning some, so that is what floated my boat.

I graduated high school in 87, and saw the rich kids in school driving new(ish) 79-87 Foxes, and that just bolstered my contempt for them.
My first modern V8 EFI car was an LT1/M6 Z-28. I had a choice between the 5.0 Stang and the Z-28, and the Chevy was faster, cheaper, and better equipped as standard, where Ford charged extra for many of the Z's standard features. No brainer. I went through 3 Z-28s, all black, 1 auto, 2 6 speeds, and the last one LS1. Still love them.

Anyway, today, my interest in Fox bodies has come from my now adult sons.
The oldest got a Fox Fairmont, and the other an SN95, and I was the chief mechanic on these 2, along with my EFI F150.
What was contempt turned into appreciation as I worked on these 5.0s and Fox bodies.
When one came for sale recently at a price I couldn't ignore, I finally bought my first Fox after all these years.
An 87... Same year I graduated.

As for 'who owns Foxes' around me, the majority are owned by 'kids' my son's age!
My 20 year old son has several friends with Fox Mustangs!
He also has helped some friends with 'classic' Fords swap in EFI 5.0s... 2 early 60s Falcons.

I would venture a guess that these kids were like myself.
While my father and his friends surrounded me with classic muscle when I was young, these kids were probably raised with their elders having Fox bodies, so that is what they like.

So that leaves you with 2 distinct age groups that love these cars:
The group that saw them new in the showroom when they were 12-20, but couldn't afford one at the time.
Then the group that is now of age, but when they were growing up, say 4-12 years old, their significant elders had these cars and made an impression.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 21. Bought my 92 from my grandpa when I was 18 for $1400 bone stock with 55k miles. DD'd it for a year and realized it was hard on a car that sat for basically it's entire life so I got a ranger. Been "building" it ever since.

Got my first fox (92 notch) just before I turned 16, was my first car. It was wrecked after a year ( person did a u-turn in the middle of a highway infront of me) bought another one the winter after (this past winter) fixed it up then sold it :( , I'm just about 18 and looking for a project fox again