Real or rumor

03silverv6

Feb 3, 2006
MA
I herd that royal purple synthetic oil is guaranteed to give your car an increase 6-8 hp just by using it. can anyone support or knock that. also can you buy this oil and just bring to a jiffy lube or a mieneke and have them put it in.

• Sponsors (?)

My engine ran smoother, but not 100% sure if it increased power. Haven't dyno'd my car, threw dual exhaust on the next day, and it went from 50 to 90 degrees out in no time. But 6-8hp, probably not, a few possibly, it did feel smoother so.

I generally don't believe claims like that. If it were true that you could add up to 8 HP just by changing your oil, it surely would have come up before in all the Mustang mags I have read like 5.0 and muscle mustangs & fast fords. It's probably just marketing hype.

Yes, but they changed all the oils without us knowing how due that camaro was for an oil change. For those with ford automatics, it's next to impossible. Ford mechanics do not recomend any other synthetic oil besides mercon V I believe it is (if not it's mercon IV) because the others don't create the pressure that the ford automatic needs to shift.

Hello, this is ganador01, your resident myth buster. Yes, many of us have heard this claim over the years. It is true to an extent. If you have an older car that has a quite a few miles on it (50,000+ in desperate need of a fluids change), changing to synthetic fluids all around could net u a gain in HP. This being becuase the old fluids have "gunked" up the system. What synthetics do is put ur car back in great running condition. They are better formulated and generally are a tiny bit better on the lubrication/heat withstanding side. But, I highly doubt you will get any HP gain over factory fluid on a brand new car.

Speaking on the lines of motor oil, almost all new cars are built in a way to maximize the performance from the factory. If ford could justify synthetic fluid from the factory, every one of their cars would carry it. The thing is, brand new, synthetic oil = dinosaur oil.

Also take note that synthetic oil can bring up leaks in ur system. It is generally a thinner oil in nature and will not clump like "dinosaur oil". Not only will it not clump, it will also unclump previous clogs that may be in ur system. Hence, if you had a cracked line that was filled with old dried up motor oil, it would be renewed and begin leaking again by running synthetic through it.