Rear axle tag

forum155pl

Jul 11, 2006
the 509
how does one go about understanding the info on an axle tag? ive been searching for the last half hour on stangnet and yahoo...
0109071540.jpg

Attachments

• 0109071540.jpg
    0109071540.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 7,278
  • Sponsors (?)

The first S stands for the Sterling Axle Plant.

The 229C is the particular rear axle model build code.

The 3L27 mean it is a "Trak-Loc" 3.27:1 rear axle ratio. Track-Lok is just a Ford owned name for their limited slip differential.

The 6H09 refers to the build date. Your rear end was built on October 9th, 1996. 6 gives you the 1996, the H is the month, and 09 was the day of the month.

A good explanation of the codes was given in this thread. I would like to add, however, that on later 8.8 units, there is no metal tag. They managed to save ten cents by putting a paper sticker on the rear cover. For thosw or you with a later car with the sticker, you might want to write down the code before the weather takes off or fades the sticker.

wow great information guys!! thank you!!...i assume when you get gears from FRPP they dont give you a tag telling so? (the owner before me said he put in 3.73's so i was just seeing if he lied) i jacked up the car last night and guess what they are definetly NOT 3.73's... punk...

next mod = Gears

new gears do not come with a tag. did you do the spin test? where you spin the driveshaft adn count how many times the tires turn.

you can also pop the cover off and actually count the teeth. my stock gears had "3.27" on the top of the pinion gear.

yeah i did the "spin test" and came out to be 3.27... damnit, the dude acted like he modded this car all to hell lol... all he did was weld in some cherry bombs (long gone) and he said that he put gears in it and full extreme performance suspention, which i never heard of but when i went to put in lowering springs i took a look at it and it was all stock... butthead! lol

oh well a 97 gt with 13,000 on the clock for 10g's wasnt that bad of a deal

oh yeah and it had altezza tails on it and projector lights.. the tails fill up with water and the headlights burnt all the reflective stuff off behind the bulb so they dont work worth a crap

oh well a 97 gt with 13,000 on the clock for 10g's wasnt that bad of a deal

oh yeah and it had altezza tails on it and projector lights.. the tails fill up with water and the headlights burnt all the reflective stuff off behind the bulb so they dont work worth a crap
You just said '97 and your sig says '98. Anywayz get rid of those tezza's and find come nice clean headlights w/ clear fogs.

i'm playing around with some ideas on the tail lights, i'm going to try and use that frosted glass paint and see if i can make em look fogged(so they will match my car), and if that looks like crap i'm going to sand them down and tint em... if they still look like ass, i'm going to put tinted stockers on...

and i replacing the projectors with cobras and clear corners HID kit too if i have the cash in the next few months..