Rear End Shifted Over?

rs-turbo

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2001
Orlando, Florida
Hey all,

Got a question on the rear axle. Is it possible for this to be shifted to one side more than the other, and if so, how can it be corrected? I had put 1.25" spacers on the rear and found they scraped the fender, especially the right side. I pulled the spacers after it became too much of a pain and actually got stuck in grass with a passenger and loaded trunk and my tires were being sliced up by the fender if I drove any further. I then bought the H&Rs everyone here seems to use. Got it from someone in the parts classifieds and he pulled them from his car with no problems. While at Ford the other day I had them install these. My stock bolts were too long and didn't have anything to cut them shorter, so figured I'd let them do it while they were checking some other stuff out. Both sides look good, but I noticed the right one scrape again going home. When home I looked at the rear and it looks like the right tire is closer to fender, while the left still has space. Could be just the way it looks in the driveway and I plan to look things over more tomorrow, but this made me wonder if my axle is shifted over slightly. I had an old van that was shifted big time and was probably from the previous owner side swiping a curb. I'm the second owner of my GT, so it's possible the other guy did the same although the rims show no clue of this. Can the axle be easily pushed over maybe 1/4 inch or so to be even on both sides?

• Sponsors (?)

The axle could be "pushed over". Take some measurements to be sure it's the axle first. I'd hang a plumb bob off of each axle without the wheels on of course, and off each frame rail (same spot on each side) and check for square...

MikeZ28 said:
we had a mach 1 come in with the rear end pushed over to the right once. that must have been a good driver too launch that hard :hail2:

he bent the control arms we replaced thsoe and recomended he have his tourqe boxes welded up..
I kept crushing bushings and bending bars too. I put a set of Mega Bite Jr's on upper and lower and HPM's bushings. Works great and no more bent control arms.... :nice: