Rear Wheel Bearings in 90 model 5.0

pntrbl

Feb 1, 2004
Lookin' like we need rear wheel bearings in my daughter's 90 model 5.0 Mustang. 8.8 gear 3.08 ratio according to the tag and it's definitely got some form of posi. My Haynes manual says it's a C-clip type, I'm familiar with those, but I'm wondering if the posi represents a potential problem. Nuthin' in the Haynes about that.

Is it as simple as a lock pin and pulling the big pin to get at the clips like the open carrier?

Is special gear oil needed for the clutch packs?

Any other tips?

Thanx

• Sponsors (?)

pntrbl said:
Lookin' like we need rear wheel bearings in my daughter's 90 model 5.0 Mustang. 8.8 gear 3.08 ratio according to the tag and it's definitely got some form of posi. My Haynes manual says it's a C-clip type, I'm familiar with those, but I'm wondering if the posi represents a potential problem. Nuthin' in the Haynes about that.

Is it as simple as a lock pin and pulling the big pin to get at the clips like the open carrier?

Any other tips?

Thanx

It is as simple as a non posi, you just have less room for access to the c-clips. You pull the cover, the retaining bolt, (use a 6 pt socket and be careful) and the cross pin. Then the axles. Then the brake backing plates. Then the grease seals, and then the bearings. In older Mustangs (79 era)there were both press fit and loose fit bearings, into the housing. Loose fit ones just pull out, the others take a puller. Still easy. You need to use posi oil or plain old gear lube with a small bottle of Ford Friction Modifier, available at most Ford dealers for $4.00 or so.

Since the bearing rides directly on the axle, check for wear on the axle. There are kits with sleeves for the axle with matching bearings if it is badly worn.

:banana:
pntrbl said:

Any other tips?

Thanx