REBUILD OR REPLACE 5.0

revedup

Nov 18, 2005
S.F. Cal,

iTS AN 89 5.0 217,000 MILES PAINT GOOD 1 TEAR ON SEAT . HEATER CORE GONE,
STILL RUNS FAST USING 1 QRT OF OIL AT LEAST EVERY 500 MILES
iTS NEVER BEEN WRECKED NO RUST MIDNIGHT BLUE 5 SPEED
wOULD IT BE CHEAPER TO REPLACE CAR WITH AN OVER ALL LOWER MILEAGE ONE OR REBUILD ENGINE AND THEN DEAL WITH WHAT EVER ELSE GOES OUT?
nO FACTORY AIR ITS OK THOUGH 70 DEGREES HERE IN s.f.
GIVE me ur ideas if ud like thanx:shrug: :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

First, please turn the caps off :D

Second, if you have the resources and you're not looking to build a race motor, my personal opinion is that you can't go wrong with finding a '98 Explorer 302 and swapping it in. You'll pick up GT40P heads and a cheap boost in power, and unless you know what you're doing with rebuilding then you'll probably save money this way too. I've seen low mileage engines for around $500, and when you consider that you're getting arguably the best stock heads ever put on a 302, then it's a good deal. On top of that, if you buy the engine complete like i've seen most of them sale for, then you've got the intake (which is a cast version of the GT40 intake) that you can sell off and make some of your money back.

This is what i'm in the process of doing right now. There's a few guys locally who have been into the 12s on Explorer engines with a good cam in them, gears and slicks.

no, 1996-2001 had the 5.0 the 96-early 97 had the cobra gt40's and the later ones had the gt40p heads which flow better, I have an explorer shortblock out of an 01 and heads off of a 98 with a bcam and it straight hauls ass, you cant go wrong.......

Ok will i be ok if i use my computer and wire harness!!!
Thanx:SNSign: