remove smog pump questions

mustangking101

Feb 22, 2009
AZ
im going to be putting some different heads on my car in about a week on my 1994 mustang gt and i was wondering how much power i will get if i remove my smog pump.. also what all do i have to do when i remove the smog pump cause i was just going to get rid of it and get a smaller serpentine belt and plug up the holes in the motor for the smog hoses is there anything i have to do with the egr or will it be fine if i just get rid of the smog pump cause it is basically just robbing hp and i dont need it really... thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Don't remove the pump for a HP gain.

You already have an O/R pipe, right?

The EGR is separate from the A.I.R. system.

Be sure to research things to your satisfaction before removing components.

There are vacuum hoses attached to the system as well. If you remove the pump and plug the holes in the heads you should be able to plug all the vacuum lines that where going to the smog and have no problems. On my old 94 GT, I ended up with some lines plugged and some open to atmosphere, but don't ask me why.

This has been covered many times so i would think you could search it and find the "right" way to do it.

BTW, you should get a few HP out of the removal, once you get it out see how hard the pulley is to turn and you'll know why.