Removed MAF screen for a test!

Mikie

the ahead of you horseman
Aug 2, 2000
Belmont NC
Guys,
I was working inside the engine bay today trying to clean and replace a few worn items and decided to tackle the stock mass air flow sensor and rubber intake tract. I first went to lowes and bought an $8 fernco 3'' curved tube. This directly replaced the factory tube as mine was torn and had crap all in it from the previous owner. I then removed the maf sensor and looked inside it. Holy ****! It had black engine gunk junk inside it and was looking bad! I decided to remove it and take it into my shop for cleaning. I used mothers polish and my dremel tool with a polish wheel to work the insides. It was at this point I carefully removed the screen and retainer clip inside the unit. When done polishing It looked better than new and slick as glass. I sat and wondered about the screen and then jumped on trusty :SNSign: to do a search for removing this screen. many people said to leave it , but a few said they removed it with no problems. So I made a decision to leave it out and bolt everything back up with the addition of a 9'' K&N filter on the end of the MAF sensor. Everything looks great now on the intake tract, but how would she act without the screen. In my mind the car had to perform better after cleaning it...or so I thought.

I sat down and cranked the beast up. Only to have it stumble and immediately die.
After several attempts I was getting worried that I destroyed the unit when polishing.But I was very careful arounf the inside hair like wires, I never even got near them. I cranked it up again and she stumbled, but this time I held my foot on the gas for 1 minute or so. I let off and the car idled, but choppy like a big cam. I took it around the block and it seemed to run better after a 1 mile jaunt. I figured the PCM was adjusting itself to the new things I had done. It idled fine after that.

Yesterday morning I went to crank up the car and dammit, same thing again. I had to hold my foot on the gas to keep her running for a minute or two. I was pissed at this point, but common sense tapped me on the shoulder and said " hey , why not put the screen back in and try it"
It took me a few minutes, but put it back in and tried to crank the car. Damn thing fired right up and idled fine!!!

I know there are big debates if the screen removal causes problems. I found out first hand that it cause me idleing issues when cold. Now I have a freshly polished MAF and new intake tract and all works great! No issues.

For any guys experimenting, just search for my thread and save yourself some time. Its there for a reason!

• Sponsors (?)

Swap the MAF assembly and sensor for a 70 MM MAF assembly and sensor from one of the following cars. It is a one for one swap, and no mods are needed except an adapter for the slip on ducting. A metal flange adapter is available from: http://www.kustomz.com/cat3.html . Buy the TR70 for $44.95.

The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,

The A2A, AA, AB, etc, on the end of the part number are minor changes that do not affect the calibration.

Yes, one of the things that the screen does is to help smooth out air flow. Most people can remove it without any problems. But, "most" people does *NOT* mean everyone! EACH setup has it's own tolerances and quirks. When the Ford engineers decided to put the screen on the MAF, that shows ONE of the differences between the half-*ss "throw junk together and see if the engine doesn't blow up" BS cr*p that people do on the forums and real engineering.

In your case, the air filter on the end of the MAF (gag puke) screwed up the air flow so much that you needed the screen. For most Stangs taht do not have the **** air filter setup, the screen helps to keep the air flow smoother when the air filter gets dirty (and air flow isn't consistent across thr whole filter).

BTW: Put a cold air kit on the car. Unless you have the MAF inside the fender, or a SEALED air box like on 94/95, you should never use that type of POS setup.

No problem dude. I understand your comments well. I intend to Supercharge the car in a few months so for now I just needed to clean the MAF and in the process put a rubber air inlet tube and the K&N on there. (I already had the K&N).

When the car was purchased it already had this POS "as you call it" setup on it.
Trust me, if it had the original airbox on it I would have left it that way until the SCer went on.

Thanks for the input though:)

so you polished it without taking the actual sensor out of the housing? eeeek! it's so easy to do, to anyone thinking about using this as a guide - i would never risk damaging it that way! undo the 2 screws and take the sensor off!!

Yes,
Make sure you remove the sensor. I didnt, but didnt get near the port with the wires inside.

Good observation Bloopbloob.
It would have only taken a few minutes to remove the sensor.