removing air silencer

• Sponsors (?)

It's the first thing I did to my 2004 gt. I drove the mustang to about 500 miles and then took off the silencer.

It may be in my head but it sounded better and seemed to pull harder.

I wouldn't put it back on.

propellerhead said:
I have an 04. I plan on shortening it only. Not totally removing it. I don't want it sucking hot air from the engine bay.

I plan on doing it for the sound. Any performance increase will be negligible.

Your right about the performance being negligible but the only time you'll be sucking hot air from the engine bay is driving around town and anywhere under 35 mph. Above that your pushing enough air through the grill to keep it flushed out.

When I take mine to Infineon I'll pull the pass. side headlight and give it a direct shot to the fresh air

I just did the test of removing the little snorkle from the stock MAS air ...

My 04 GT was stock except, yesterday I had an off road H pipe put on with 2 chamber flows.. and first thing I noticed was a drop in idle power for some reason i guess the back preasure droped with the new exhaust poor engine was starving for more air.. :-(.... when I would go to take off in first it would kind of stumble almost stall then cetch on and take off... since I removed the snorkle 4 mins ago I ran it ... runs better taking off in first between 1000-2000 rpms is alittle bit quicker at WOT .....and sounds somewhat deeper at idle.
Seems to rev a tab bit faster too no huge changes though like a set of gears would feel like.

So until I get a MAF and new TB and plenum I guess this will do...

Thanks for the info

Dave

Just go ahead and cut away the entire airbox. The whole notion of sucking "cold air" into your engine is a joke and a half. What you really want if anything is lesser restriction.:nice: