Removing power steering pulley?

Labora

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2000
Dallas, Texas
My powersteering pump is sqeeaking like crazy. The pump works 100% and doesn't leak so I'm thinking I'm going to pull the pulley and grease it up best I can in hopes of that fixing it and saving some $$$.

-I have a balancer/pulley puller that I guess will pull it off? (is it just pressed on?)

-What the hell can I use to reinstall it if you can indeed remove it that way to start with?

-Anybody had this issue before if so what did you do?

Thanks for any input. (and I searched a few times found nothing)
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Pulling that off and "greasing" it up won't work....it's a press fit and lubing it wouldn't be a good idea...
You really need the specific puller for PS....AZ rents it. It pulls and pushed it on slick...

165625.jpg

165624.jpg

You must use a puller/installer that is made specific for our cars
or
It is almost certain ... you're gonna hose up your pulley

They can be found at auto supply places for rent
and
They can be bought for less than 20 bux at various places

With the correct tool ... it is no hassle at all to r&r

Grady

RIO5.0
Why do you say it would be a waste of time to grease it up? Seems easy enough to me to try it out and save some $$ if it fixes the squeaking for awhile. Like I said the pump works 100% correctly so replacing it doesn't make sense at this point unless it comes to that. (even then I'd still have to fight the pulley unless they ship with a new one?) Thanks for the pics.

final5-0
Come to think of it my friend just had his pullies powdercoated and complained about warping the PS pully when he tried to reinstall it. So are you telling me the survival rate for these is low once they are removed from the shaft? Is so. :notnice: Because the Cobras is slightly diffrent IIRC???

I will go get the correct tool for sure. :) And I see what you are trying to say I wouldn't remove it incorrectly or force it back on the wrong way which is why I'm asking! :D Never noticed you where from DFW final. :)

A squeek to me would indicate its loose ??? Lubing it up would worsen that..Have you removed the belt and yanked on the pulley to feel for play?? The PS pulley is quite an interference fit....If it was loose enuf to squeek i would think it would be wobbling to boot?

Have you used a stethoscope to listen around the pump when running??...could be an alt, maybe the tensioner?
I have a nice chirp from my tensioner that drives me nuts...A shot of WD40 now and then cures it..

It is the PS pump for sure. I can shoot just enough wd40 in there to make it not squeak for a bit but the pully blocks me from getting a fair amount of grease in there. So I figure removing the pully and packing it with grease is worth a shot for awhile. *shrug*

Ahhhh...you need to ghetto it....:nice:
If your gonna stuff it with lube it would find a fatty o-ring to slide on after you tuck the grease to it to hold it in there longer.

Do yourself a favor and lube up the inside of the pulley shaft with some PB and run a bolt back and forth to clean the threads inside there...Your puller has to run up inside and thread into the pulley shaft...You want those threads nice and clean..
I got tha above kit at AZ...rather than rent it I bought it for 27.00...it work the balls both on and off...