Removing swirls?

ArkansasMystic

Feb 16, 2007
I had my rear bumper painted over the summer, and I keep scratching it. I finally had someone buff it, and all the scratches came out. It looks great from a foot or two away. However, when the sun shines on it and you are farther back, you can see tons of swirls from the buffer. Not sure if it was a bad pad or not enough compound, but it looks bad. Usually I would be mad, but it still looks better than all the scratches that were there. The finish is smooth, it isn't scratched. Is there any way to remove this? I know a guy who has been in the auto body business for years, and he is good with a buffer. I didn't know if he might be able to buff over it and smooth it out?? At this point I'm scared to have more buffing done on it, but he should be able to say yes or no if it will work. I may try just waxing over it, but wanted to see if there might be anything else I should try. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I had my rear bumper painted over the summer, and I keep scratching it. I finally had someone buff it, and all the scratches came out. It looks great from a foot or two away. However, when the sun shines on it and you are farther back, you can see tons of swirls from the buffer. Not sure if it was a bad pad or not enough compound, but it looks bad. Usually I would be mad, but it still looks better than all the scratches that were there. The finish is smooth, it isn't scratched. Is there any way to remove this? I know a guy who has been in the auto body business for years, and he is good with a buffer. I didn't know if he might be able to buff over it and smooth it out?? At this point I'm scared to have more buffing done on it, but he should be able to say yes or no if it will work. I may try just waxing over it, but wanted to see if there might be anything else I should try. Thanks.

it probably just needs a buff with a finishing polish and a finishing pad...itll come right out i am sure :nice:

I will have an experienced friend who owns a body shop, been into it for probably 30+ years, do it. I just need to know what needs done so I can get an idea of how much time/money to look at, and to make sure it will come out (or will it be a waste and ruin the new paint)? Thanks.

I recently used a claybar and wax and got the majority of them out of my car. I would spend 15-20 bucks that might get it out rather than spending more on something your not sure of

I have a claybar kit sitting at home, I hadn't thought about it. However, since the finish is smooth and the swirls show in the clear, I really don't think it will come out with the clay bar.

a claybar or a wax will not remove swirls. How bad are the swirls? if they are faint/light swirls then a finishing polish with some light cutting fix it. If it's any worse than that you will need to get it buffed with a machine and a more aggressive polish. You can use a glaze as a filler for swirls, but they will show up again eventually.

The finish is smooth, they aren't scratches. You can just see the circular motions that were made with the buffer. Sounds like it should be fixable, which is good. I won't be touching it, too scared to mess it up. I will either get the guy I know to do it or find a decent detailing shop. Thanks.

really not hard to fix with a random orbital like the PC 7424 or a flex. If it's just marring from using a compound then a light polish will do the trick. You can do it by hand with a microfiber polishing or foam pad, but it's going to take a lot of effort.

I removed the swirls on my stang a long time ago so my pant looks fabulous

View attachment 302724

This is my family member's SL55 AMG that i detailed....the swirls looks like Hell before....

Adam's Car Wash
Dry With Waffle Weave Towel
Adam's Claybar
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 w/Lake Country Orange Pad
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 w/Lake Country White Pad
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant w/Lake Country Red Pad

Before

IMG_0882.JPG

View attachment 302728

IMG_0888.JPG

After

View attachment 302732

IMG_0942Small.JPG

IMG_0943Small.JPG

IMG_0944Small.JPG

IMG_0946Small.JPG

IMG_0952Small.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0941Small.JPG
    IMG_0941Small.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0942Small.JPG
    IMG_0942Small.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0943Small.JPG
    IMG_0943Small.JPG
    447.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0946Small.JPG
    IMG_0946Small.JPG
    531.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0952Small.JPG
    IMG_0952Small.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 73
Maybe it isn't "swirls". It is not what you see in the above pics. It is a haze left from where the buffer went. I tried to get pics, but it is very hard to capture. I'm glad it seems fixable, I'll take it by the body shop next chance I get to see if the guy will work on it. Last time I took it to him, he worked on it for an hour and wouldn't let me pay him. Great, yeah, but I also feel bad because he stays busy and it was during business hours when he could have made money. That's the reason I didn't go back to him (wish I had now, but oh well). Thanks everyone.

I removed the swirls on my stang a long time ago so my pant looks fabulous

PaintOwnage.jpg
Your "Pant" looks much better than before :D

If you see "hazing," and not "swirls/spiderwebs," you probably have micro marring left from the product used to remove the swirls. It most likely needs to be gone over with a finishing product, such as Menzerna PO85RD, or something with less cut and more gloss.

Attachments

• PaintOwnage.jpg
    PaintOwnage.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 85