Replace clutch cable now or later

GTtopLESS

Nov 8, 2007
I am attempting to get the most out of my current clutch, just to spread out the cost of numerous upgrades needed. Would replacing the cable and quadrant (adjustables), help me get more life out of current clutch? If not could any harm be done?

• Sponsors (?)

No putting an adjustable quad on the car will shorten the life of the clutch because you will either not adjust it often enough or adjust it incorrectly.

Make sure the auto adjust feature is working properly on the stock setup to maximize clutch life.

ok so why does anyone put an adjustable in if it shortens the life of your clutch? assuming I am competent enough to adjust properly, why would a new cable not enable the clutch to disengage more efficiently? I have never heard/read anything negative about adjustables before...anyone?

All the people here are just going to tell you adjustable is the greatest because they have one.

Just think about this which is better a setup you have to manually adjust or one that adjusts itself automatically?

Do what you have to do.

People change their clutch quadrants and adjusters because - like a lot of stock parts on the 4.6L - they can, not because they necessarily need to.

The stock setup works fine unless you're shifting so hard that you're breaking them, in which case your not really optimizing your driving technique to maximize the life of your clutch anyway.

My setup is completely factory stock and I finally had to put a new clutch in at 120,000 miles because the throw out bearing failed but the clutch disc still had plenty of usable life left in it. Treating your clutch kindly is your best bet for long life.

In my personal experience (230,000 miles worth) I've found the adjustable clutch and quadrant have made no significant difference with regards to clutch life...OTOH, the throw-out bearing chiping/squeaking/etc issue is much less of an issue with the aftermarket set up...AND much more importantly the clutch action and position is far, FAR, superior with the Maximum Motorsports quadrant than it was with the stock parts...

oh and the clutch cable is still the original, so I wouldn't worry too much about that ;)

I have a Steeda adjustable cable/FWA/quad setup and it WAS nice, but I was driving improperly and ended up wearing out my TOB and pressure plate down quite a bit... If I could go back, I wouldn't go with the adjustable cable, just get the OEM cable and the MM FWA/quad combo.