Rering and new bearings in 91LX 2.3L: Any reason I cant use 87 turbo rods and pistons

Anlushac11

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2001
Indianapolis, Indiana
As soon as I get my 85 LX back I can start driving it.

I can then pull 91 LX 2.3L and do a basic overhaul, new main and rod bearings and new front and rear main seals.

I will take that time to send the 2.3L dual plug head, and intake to my dad for rebuild and port and polish.

My friend who has a Turbo Coupe has a 84, 87, and 88 turbo 2.3L sitting and I have been told to take whatever parts I need off them.

I was wondering about pulling rods and pistons, cleaning and rering and drop them into the 91 LX motor.

Anyone done anything like this?

I understand it will depend on bore conditions but if they are both stock original never opened motors I was thinking there should not be that much difference in piston to cylinder wall clearance. I dont think Ford would take the time to optimize the clearance on each set of pistons to a particular motor.

Your thoughts and comments as always are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

If you don't plan on turbocharging the '91 motor, you'll be really sorry you used the turbo motor pistons. The drop in compression will give that motor barely enough power to out run a sugar-buzzed 3 year old girl on a tricycle.

Stick with the cast pistons from the '91 or if you can't live without forged pistons, look at forged flat-tops from popular piston manufacturers like Wiseco.

If you're going to turbo charge the dual plug motor, then by all means use the pistons but be sure you prep the bores to account for the increased piston to wall clearance that forged pistons need over cast pistons.

The rods are the same in the '91 as they are in the turbo motor. You'll find they have the same casting number(that dates back to 1974) on the beam of the rod.

There's nothing stopping you from using those turbo pistons and rods if everything is in good condition and the block doesn't need bored over. If you are indeed going turbo later, then it'd be a good idea to keep the lower compression from these pistons. It won't be THAT slow if you don't turbo it immidiately, but still a 5-10% power loss from less compression.
I ran some dish pistons in my NA for a while. I shaved the head .090 to get the compression up. I want to say it was around 9.8:1 after milling the head. It ran pretty well too.
Brian