Review for Randalls Rack

10secgoal

Dec 1, 2003
San Diego
I had ordered the kit on a friday and was told the kit would ship out the following Monday. I gave him all the specs of the motor and trans, model and so forth. One week goes by and it's friday again so I call to find out where the rack was. He said one of his family members had passed and was out of town. I told him I was sorry to hear that, and this car had a due date to be on a transport. He said to resend the info thru the website and it would go out monday. So I again called monday to find out what was going on. I was told it shipped out. Again I called friday because I still didn't have it. When I asked him why it hadn't gone out, all the sudden I was the a-hole. He started blaming it on his family member passing. I told him I didn't have a problem with it then. But he flat out lied to me about when it went out. If he had told me the first time, cool. I understand. And I told him that. I would have just caceled my order and gone with TCP. I had a deadline, no hard feelings. But then I was being talked down to like it was all my fault. I cancelled my order after a huge attitude when I was asked "what the "F" I wanted him to do" and hung up. So I was on TCP's website when he called back to say he'd 2 day air it.
Kit needs much better directions.Nothing on how to install the pump. The directions say to connect the lines for the pump, but now idea to know where to run them. Or that you have to notch sheet metal to run them. The pump did not line up to the crank. I had to put two washer between the bracket and head to line them up. I called and asked what was going on and he said he'd never had that problem before. He then said the pump was designed for a 2 groove water pump pulley. I tried to explain to him that would not fix the problem. He said it would, so I just got off the phone.
Installing the special sleeves, one had a burr inside of it. It ruined the new tie rod I had and the sleeve. I ran the tie rod in and I felt the burr, and went to pull it out and it galled everything on it way out. I didn't even call him abought this because of all the wonderful help I had already recieved.
Needless to say the car didn't make it. At this point I don't really care how the car performs, I'll buy from TCP from now on. Take it for what it's worth guys. Great customer service until I actually bought it.

• Sponsors (?)

Rack

I to bought a randals rack, which looks like a nice product. My problem was that he sent and charged me for the pump that I did not order. Was told to return the pump and he would refund to my credit card. The refund was less the return ups charges. Also I did not get the steering joints and shaft that was in the kit price.
Still haven't installed as my mustang seems to be stalled in the paint shop. Five months and three repaints and car looks like crap. We all have our problems.

you know, i've never heard anything bad about randalls until now. personally, if i had a death in the family i wouldn't be very helpful either especially if i felt like someone was giving me an atitude. it sounds to me like you weren't being very understanding.

you know, i've never heard anything bad about randalls until now. personally, if i had a death in the family i wouldn't be very helpful either especially if i felt like someone was giving me an atitude. it sounds to me like you weren't being very understanding.

Same here, only heard good things about Randall's. But I gotta disagree with you on the customer being understanding. He was. Like 10secgoal said, if he had told him up front that he couldn't make the deadline for the delivery, then ok.

He should not be understandig being told he will get the rack on-time, then doesn't. 10secgoal had a deadline that he made Randall's aware of. It's BS of Randall to promise the rack, knowing he won't be able to deliver withind the deadline.

I've been there myself, and it sucks!
Last summer, on a saturday a cam lobe got wiped. I got a open track event the next weekend. So I order a new cam at Part vendor A. I even supplied the P/N for a 351W cam, and I told them about my deadline. They tell me, ok, we got the cam you want in stock.
I ordered on Monday, knowing shipping takes 4 days. On Thursday I recive the cam, but it's a 302W cam, with a letter saying "Use this fire order: <302 fire order>" Sure it fits, but I got a 351W dammit, which has a better fire order (4/7 swap). I don't want no 302 fire order! So I gotta order a new cam from Part vendor B, and I gotta shell out $50 for over-night shipping! Plus, the first day of the track event was spent swapping the cam!

10secgoal got the same deal going on with Randall's. It's not cool, and he shouldn't show any understanding for Randall not keeping a promise.

fvike nailed man. I tried to work with the guy. I told him take his time the first week and get his stuff in order.I also hadn't heard anything bad, that's why I ordered it form him.But believe me. I was nothing but nice until cussed at.

if you lose a loved one and even feel like someone is having an attitude with you you'll get very upset, i've been there and done that. i understand that you had a deadline that didn't get met and it was because randall didn't get the part out to you as promised but the guy had a death in the family and you can't just expect someone to be their normal self after a loved one dies...period. just because you had a bad experience after he had a death in the family is not indicative of his normal customer service. i've communicated with him several times and he has never been anything but very pleasant and extremely quick in replying to my questions.

i'm sorry that you were inconvenienced but in the long run the death in his family is more important than a trivial deadline. sorry, but i just can't feel your pain on this one and you won't be able to convince me otherwise.

like i said, i understand that you were inconvenienced and all that and that does suck but i still have to think that this was not a normal situation and not indicative of Randall's customer service. you also have to keep in mind that he is basically a one man operation not a big company so he doesn't have anyone that can handle things for him when something like this comes up.

was it bad customer service? probably but it was it indicative of his normal service? definitely not.

sorry but that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. deal with it.

was it bad customer service? probably but it was it indicative of his normal service? definitely not.

sorry but that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. deal with it.

See, I also don't agree with you.

Sure I can understand delays, etc with a death in the family. But good customer service would mean communicating to the customer that there is/was a delay, and offering to give the customer's money back, etc. Especially after he called, told the guy he was in a hurry and was promised a new deadline that also wasn't met.

I can forgive alot of delays and headaches so long as whomever I am dealing with communicates well, and is apologetic regardless of the situation. As bad as a death in the family is, it should never be the customers problem. Someone who leaves you to keep calling back just to find out the work wasn't done as promised is just plain old giving bad service.

It was good of him to express ship the rack tho. 10sec, did he pay for the extra shipping costs? If so, that goes a long way in my book. To be fair, it sounds like your expectations were a little high. He didn't offer remarkably bad service either.

It was good of him to express ship the rack tho. 10sec, did he pay for the extra shipping costs? If so, that goes a long way in my book. To be fair, it sounds like your expectations were a little high. He didn't offer remarkably bad service either.
Yes, he did pay for the extra shipping costs. Which was cool. Figured I'd forget the whole thing. But I don't think I was unreasonable at all. I was lied to about when the rack was sent out. On the day I was suppposed to get it, I was told another week, which would have been three days after the car was to leave. That would have made it three weeks to the day, that I ordered it.
Bnickel I don't need you to feel my pain dude. The FIRST delay because of family I was TOTALLY OK with. The second was a flat out lie, and that's what upset me. Family death or not, that's unacceptable to me. A simple,"sorry guy, can't send it out" would have been sufficce. No problem. That's all I'm saying.I know there are two sides to the story yada yada yada. But I will say again I was nothing but nice to the guy until he got pissy.

sorry, but a missed deadline just seems very trivial compared to a death in the family. to be fair i never said it wasn't bad service, but i would be a little more understanding than you were but that's just me. to me your rant just doesn't sound fair. how do you know he flat out lied? isn't it possible it just slipped his mind in light of matters that were more important to him? like i said, he is a one man operation and doesn't have a lot of people working for him that could handle things while he was grieving. i'm just thinking that you should have probably kept this bad experience to yourself and not bought his product any more if you were displeased rather than posting a public rant about how poor his customer service in light of the situation.

i'm not saying you don't have the right to be displeased at all, just that IMO a public rant about how poor (in your opinion) the customer service was in this particular situation given the circumstances. to me it just seems totally unnecessary to crucify the guy publicly over what was obviously a bad sitation to begin with for both of you.

I also bought a randalls rack a few months ago through the place i get all my mustang parts. After the dealer screwed up the pump hose order, i contacted Randall and he shipped out the proper hose at his cost. Have also spoken with him about some alignment issues on several ocassions, he's been nothing but helpfull.

mike

I also bought a randalls rack a few months ago through the place i get all my mustang parts. After the dealer screwed up the pump hose order, i contacted Randall and he shipped out the proper hose at his cost. Have also spoken with him about some alignment issues on several ocassions, he's been nothing but helpfull.

mike

that's how most transactions go with him. like i said this is an isolated incident and not indicative of his normal service, that was my main reason for posting all that i have. i am sorry that 10sec had the problems he had and i can understand his frustration but you have to take things an understanding of the situation and at least have SOME sympathy for the man in this case. i honsetly can't even tell you why i'm defending Randall like i am other than that he has always been very responsive and thoughtful in ALL communications i've had with him and i don't believe that he would intentionally treat a customer that way unless he was really having a very bad time.

what are things you don't do to a customer:
do not make promises you can't keep, do not curse at you customer, don't make your personal issues affect the customer service that you are giving, and don't lie to the customer.

His CS was not the only problem if you look at the post again. My "rant" was not simply about that. I know he lied to me. Like I said, I asked him that monday and was told it went out. If ya don't know, tell me. I tell customers all the time I'll have to call them back since I don't know exactly what's going on.
The fact that somebody else had a problem with the pump lining up tells me he lied again. He told me had NEVER heard of that. Why is that ? And has yet to fix the pump problem ?
I wish I got the same CS as you guys get. But if no ones says anything, how are potential customers supposed to know ? I'm not the only person that's had a problem. Hell. The owner called him and said we had an emergency when the sleeve stripped because of the burr. Guess what. No call back. I guess it wasn't that important, it's been over 5 days now since that phone call. And if I'm crucifying him, you know what they say about making your bed.
You can take it for what's worth. I didn't make it up. This was my review. I've stated "my opinion," on CS AND the product with accompaning directions. Now everyone can make their desicions on wether to buy or not.

what are things you don't do to a customer:
do not make promises you can't keep, do not curse at you customer, don't make your personal issues affect the customer service that you are giving, and don't lie to the customer.

How true. The fact is that business is business. It's sad about Randalls loss but paying customers shouldn't have to deal with other peoples problems, we all already have enough of our own.