ridiculous MSRP markups???

gaberubin

Founding Member
Oct 13, 2002
los angeles, ca
... been a long time since i've last posted. i almost traded in my '01 GT for a new M3, but rightly changed my mind at the last minute :hail2:

so, yesterday i stopped in at my local Ford dealership (pasadena, CA) to see what they had on the lot. i asked the sales guy to show me to the GTs and he said they only have one. it was a black '06 convertible...

i asked what it's selling for and he tells me 43. i'm looking at the price tag and i see MSRP is around 32, so i say "you mean 32?" -- he says no, and points to another sticker that says $43,870. $10,000 over invoice!? i ask him if he's on crack and say for another 5 grand you can get a new S281, and he replies simply by saying "well you cant find the GTs anywhere, you just cant get them"

so i ask him what the coupes are going for and he says they are "only" marked up 6 grand over MSRP.

have i been out of the game for a while or is this guy spitting some serious BS. can't i customize my 'Stang on Ford, pay the destination charges, and pick it up at MSRP cost???

help! i'd love a new stang, but i'll be damned if i'm going to get raped in the process!

thanks! :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

Well that particular dealership has marked it more than others but ya for the most part dealerships have been putting mark ups on these cars because its a hot item right now. Their is more demand for them than their is supply (at least for the gt's). However, you can get them at msrp you may just have to look around for a little bit. Some people even got it on the various employee plans but it's pretty difficult to find any dealers willing to do that. I think most dealers will order you a mustang at msrp (even if they are marking their current inventory up). Good luck with finding one though at a reasonable price.

btw, you put this in the wrong forum but I'm sure one of the mods will move it for you.

gaberubin said:
... can't i customize my 'Stang on Ford, pay the destination charges, and pick it up at MSRP cost???

In short...No. I tried to do that for an 05. Sure, the price online was MSRP. I searched the vehicle inventory and Ford gladly hooked me up with the dealer (Internet department). I even received an email saying the prices received through the Internet Department were good only through the internet. So I thought "Great!"; I set up an appointment, met the manager of Internet sales and he promptly showed me to my GT located on the lot. The sticker was labeled MSRP and right next to it was the "add-on" sticker. $8,000.00 Market Upgrade.

I asked him what my price was and he pointed to the sticker which read $35K. No special deals through the Internet Department on the Mustangs...

I bought used...

One of the Ford dealerships around me, doesn't add a markup to their Mustangs. However, you are required to buy the dealer installed $5K black hood scoop or the $7K body-color hood scoop. :rolleyes:

Call Ford customer service and complain. Not sure it will do any good, but it should. I'm sure they'd (FORD) like to know how dealers are pissing off THEIR (Fords') potential customers. Here's the # 1-800-392-3673

05 BLK-BLK said:
Just curious...whats the dealer name and location of where you ordered?

Gordie Boucher West Bend, WI and the Hallada Auto Group Dodgeville, WI both had well below MSRP offers when I shopped dealers for my order. Course I cross shopped every dealer in a tri state area and picked the two lowest within a 2 hour radius of home. Then visited both to try and squeek a couple hundred more out of them. Managed 300 below invoice back on 12-20-04

I take it in for service at my local dealership who laughed and told me "run, not walk to any dealership not charging over msrp" (emailed him my final sales price to BTW)

You're probably going to need a genie and a lamp to get a dealer to move much on an on lot GT in CA.

05 BLK-BLK said:
In short...No. I tried to do that for an 05. Sure, the price online was MSRP. I searched the vehicle inventory and Ford gladly hooked me up with the dealer (Internet department). I even received an email saying the prices received through the Internet Department were good only through the internet. So I thought "Great!"; I set up an appointment, met the manager of Internet sales and he promptly showed me to my GT located on the lot. The sticker was labeled MSRP and right next to it was the "add-on" sticker. $8,000.00 Market Upgrade.

I asked him what my price was and he pointed to the sticker which read $35K. No special deals through the Internet Department on the Mustangs...

I bought used...

I guess it just depends on your dealer. I refused to pay over MSRP so I ordered
my GT through the internet as well. I met with the Mgr. of Fleet Sales when I went
in and he confirmed all the prices I had seen online and wrote up the order exactly
as it had appeared on the internet. There was never any attempt to sell me
anything they had in stock (no GT's in stock anyway). I had to wait 11 weeks, but
it was sure worth it.

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=50

I actually stopped by my local dealership yesterday as well. They have a blue 06 convertible with a black top. There only mark up is that they add only what they call the "Winner Protection Package." It’s basically a bunch of BS that they try to charge an extra 1500 for. Anybody who knows anything about dealing with a car salesman know that is the first thing to go before even sitting down to seriously crunch numbers.

Gaberubin, for 6000 you can easily fly up to Delaware,buy the exact same car up hear, and either drive or have it tailored down to you. Shoot, I will save you the trip and do it for you plus save you half!!!

Call Terry at Mossy Ford in San Diego. Tell her your a member of TMS and want the TMS price. It will be under MSRP. You may have to order although she had a white one coming any day last I heard.

If you are in southern california, just go to vista ford or valley park ford. they will both sell at msrp (vista was advertising $100 below msrp). Last time i checked, vista had 80+ stangs on their lot. i also called pasadena ford, and they told me the same bs. i got lucky and got a black gt manual coupe in the bay area at James Ford for msrp. heck, for msrp, i saved a 300 dollar trip to and from socal.

if you want the contact info for the dealer i bought from, just let me know... they had a couple more. i told them i was willing to buy at msrp, and no more. good luck!

p.s. buy a GT and put the extra $25k in the bank!

I got my 05 V6 coupe out the door for 20K. It was the 4th car I bought at the same dealer in the last 3 years. No way I was paying 5K over sticker for a GT. The way I figure it I still have a nice Mustang to drive and the 12K I saved is the cost of the 05 Ranger Im buying for my daily driver.

I lucked out and got my under MSRP. But it looks like a lot of people will have to order from the net or wait it out.

I am friends with one of senior people that handled PR/Marketing for the 05's for Ford. I told her some of the stories from these forums about this and she got ticked. She said Ford hates it that dealers do this and it actually hurts Ford. She said they jacked up production on the 06's to prevent this from happening.

Oh, and get this...kinda amusing. She said Ford gets ticked when the dealers in stall the white racing stipe standard on the side of the cars. I actually had mine removed before I bought it. But she said Ford dosent ship them with the car, and that all the dealers do it, especially on the V6's. She said its been a argument going on between the dealerships and Fords for several years now.

Keep shopping

You said local for you is Pasadena? If your willing to drive a bit to pick it up you should check out Fiesta Ford in Indio, south of Palm springs. I drove 112 miles to get my 06 yesterday. They will do MSRP. And if you point out you will have to drive to get it, you can see if they will come down under MSRP. My salesman - who I've been in contact with since last April - said they have allocations and not that many orders in line yet, so if you place an order soon with them, you should see the car by Oct - Nov sometime. I was his 1st 06 order, but one later order arrived before me and the guy behind me arrived on the same truck as mine. Both Tungsten - Love this color. So he's delivered 3 06's already and he showed me his computer print out list... only had like 5-6 orders waiting and they all had Vin#'s already.
Fiesta Ford in Indio - ask for Bryan Quan. 760-772-8000 ext 406