Build Thread "Rising from Ashes" 94 Cobra build thread

Are you like retired or something? I wish I could work on my car everyday.

Kurt

No I'm a long way from retirement but I try find time to do at least one thing everyday so I don't loose interest and let it sit for weeks.
Sad it still takes me so long.

Hagerty Commercial-

"No Donna, that's not classic car behavior".
-Door Slams, she leaves.
"Wow, that was solid. Can you check the tire pressure while you're out there?"

Probably a good idea to get that insurance after all this. You're car probably has $55,000+ easy into it (probably more, I'm ball parking).

Yeah this car's insured like me...Probably worth more dead than alive.

• Sponsors (?)

Too Long?????? I haven't done that much to my car in 12 years.

Kurt
Thanks Kurt!

Got a lot done on the Mustang yesterday

Stripped the underside of the trunk including Ford's gobs of seam sealer. Under the seam sealer was some surface rust that had started to form. That's all gone now.
A2.jpg

2 coats of SPI Epoxy applied to seal and will come back with neat bead of seam sealer prior to paint
A4.jpg

Body work started on the passenger side quarter. A lot of the work was just fixing Ford's stamping flaws.
B1.jpg

Its all in the details..body work continues into the wheel wells to smooth out the spot welds and make this area just as slick as the rest of the car. I already rolled the fenders and line x ed in there.
B2.jpg

D1.jpg

2 more coats of Epoxy primer.
D2.jpg

Anymore detail on "stamping flaws"? I don't have an eye for that so I'd love a tip. Is it that area above the wheel well on the fender? Just not perfectly smooth?

Sure the typical areas on the SN95 body are tops of quarters where it meets trunk, above wheel wells(ALWAYS) in front of the brake duct on quarter where door meets, around door handles and locks, fender and door edges.

The best way to identify the waive areas is with a coat of primer and a good block. The high and low spots will reveal while blocking.

I bought these OEM Ford side skirts off ebay about a year for $40 bucks. I drug them out of my attic to start prepping them. I still need to find a passenger side. I have a couple of good used ones that I could strip but I really don't want to.

The one's on the car were hammered where they used the wrong jacking points. They were bent back along with the metal. I fixed the metal but the original side skirts were trash.

DSCN1693.jpg

DSCN1700.jpg

Looking good! When do you plan on finishing the paint?

Not sure...?

The great thing about this being my own personal project is I have no deadlines.
So I will paint it when it is to the point I want it.

I am going to paint some pieces in the next month to test out a new clear I want to use.

I still have a long way to go on the actual body.

Got some more work done on the Mustang.

More blocking and primer on the quarter
BodyWork199.jpg

BodyWork200.jpg

Got some work done on the underside of the hood and put some epoxy primer on it.
Bodywork197.jpg

Doors stripped of seam sealer. Found some surface rust starting to form under the sealer. Thats all gone now!
BodyWork201.jpg

BodyWork202.jpg

Maximum Motorsports deal of the day is back, so I'm hoping to get the rest of the suspension parts for this project.

Starting with these MM sport dampers along with the springs and coilover kit I bought last year. The springs are 10-350 s that I powdercoated silver to match my rear springs.
DSCN1720.jpg

Put them together... ready to go on the car.
DSCN1724.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and buy some 375lb and 400lb springs since I can switch out easily.

I went ahead and got all my bolts taken care of for when I'm ready to put this thing back together.

Glass beaded
IMG_0115.jpg

Powdercoated
IMG_0116.jpg

The threads are just coated with a dusting of spray bomb because you dont want any powder in your threads. Its a real pain to get off.

Ordered my Maximum motorsports front and rear Stainless brake lines.
IMG_0117.jpg

And installed on the rear. I'll do the fronts when I bolt everything up. I just love all of their stuff. Definitely worth the money.
IMG_0120.jpg

Ordered my Maximum motorsports front and rear Stainless brake lines.
I bought a set of Russell Stainless Steel brake lines rather then the Max Motorsports ones only because it comes with the a 5th brake line for the center rear. Plus the the price of the set was less!

I'm sure the max motorsports one is better quality though! I'm totally on a budget!!!

Looks great! I'm loving the progress!

Back when I bought mine, they didn't even offer a 5 piece kit. You could only get the 2 front and the one center, so I'm stuck with the stock lines going to the back calipers.

Kurt

I bought a set of Russell Stainless Steel brake lines rather then the Max Motorsports ones only because it comes with the a 5th brake line for the center rear. Plus the the price of the set was less!

I'm sure the max motorsports one is better quality though! I'm totally on a budget!!!

Looks great! I'm loving the progress!

Thanks man! Maximum now sells a kit with the fifth line in it but I didn't order it. I actually have the Russell Stainless center line left over from the previous one. I had ordered it a couple of days before the fire. It showed up the day after. So I have had it two years. I'll use it on this car.

Thanks man! Maximum now sells a kit with the fifth line in it but I didn't order it. I actually have the Russell Stainless center line left over from the previous one. I had ordered it a couple of days before the fire. It showed up the day after. So I have had it two years. I'll use it on this car.

Sounds great! I love the progress. Keep up the amazing work! :)