RSX Type S Pulled on me tonight.

Numbles

Dec 10, 2003
Chicago, IL
I go over to a friends house tonight and their installing a CAI on this kids RSX. Ive never met the kid before but Ive always wanted to truly race one of these cars because Ive raced one before and beat it but ive seen quarter mile times that prove they are faster.

So after the CAI is installed. (It took them 5 hours LOL. I showed up during the last hour to laugh and offer a small amount of help) I ask the kid if he wants to race. He just got the car so I figured I might be able to take him. So we go over to a warehouse close by and I heat up the nittos and a buddie flags the race. I bog it at about a 2500rpm dump(stock clutch with 106K). Nevertheless I actually beat him off the line and stayed ahead untill I hit third and he pulled a carlength before we shut down.

So we race again and this time I raised the launch to 3500 because of the nittos and 2.73 gears. I barely squeal them off the line and pull a car right away. And once again, I hit third and he walked me.

WTF is up with that. I know my car just has exhaust but ford should have done a little better job makin these cars. Even if I had a full tank and the spare and all that.

Owell, my gear and new clutch go in on monday for only $400 :banana: and im waiting for someone to sell me their intake. :rlaugh:

And the best part is, my stock 100,000 mile clutch lasted for those two races and a few others that night. He fried his clutch and it only has 20k on it :rlaugh: With the clutch completely let out with it in 1st gear it can barely roll from a stop :lol: Must be all that horsepower that the AEM CAI's put out.

Sorry for the long post
Dan.

And were gonna rematch when we both have our new clutches and I have my gear in. Then again when the intake goes in.

• Sponsors (?)

Numbles said:
And the best part is, my stock 100,000 mile clutch lasted for those two races and a few others that night. He fried his clutch and it only has 20k on it :rlaugh: With the clutch completely let out with it in 1st gear it can barely roll from a stop :lol: Must be all that horsepower that the AEM CAI's put out.

All the HP the AEM CAI puts out was enough to walked you.. TWICE....Kinda funny isnt it.. :stupid:

The VTEC pulls rather hard once the rpms hit 6000...If you ever driven one, youde know that. My buddy has one, type s with exhuast and intake, runs mid 14s. Good luck next time!

When I had gears and exhaust only couple of years ago, I had one pull on me really good. NOW, we are kinda aware of the capabilities of the RSX fixed up a bit, but BACK THEN, I was like WTF is this thing?? :lol:

You REALLY need some 3.73s in there. You said youre waiting for someone to sell you an intake, but you gotta do them gears before anything else. It's not too common to see people street racing with stock gears and nothing much more than exhaust.

DO IT...YOU'LL LOVE IT!
RC

I don't have the type S version, but mine is pretty quick (except from a stop, though the sport shift is better than straight auto cause you can shift when you want to). However, my GT has no problem, BUT it could be a lot uglier for the RSX if I had gears.

With gears, you can plant the torque our V8's have much quicker. I love my RSX for daily driving and the sport shift thing is kind of neat, but it does lack an A$$ load of the stang's torque and a few ponies.

I will say that the computers in the RSX's are just sick (in a good way) and help those cars do more with what they've got. Much better and more high tech computer than the stangs, but there's no substitute in my book for a V8.

I've got the RSX for one more year, but note that the stang aint leaving my garage until a new stang comes along. :)

If you haven't driven a stang with better gears, then you're in for a treat and a few more wins.

Bump up your gear ratio by about one full turn and the outcome will be different.

2.73 rear gears and 3rd gear pulling power = not much of anything goin on

With 3.73 or 4.10 you will build rpm's fast in 3rd & 4th gear!

Later
Grady

Numbles said:
WTF is up with that. I know my car just has exhaust but ford should have done a little better job makin these cars. Even if I had a full tank and the spare and all that.
Why would Ford do that when they knew that the 5.0 aftermarket was booming, and idiots like us would buy the car despite how fast it is in stock form? You have to remember that just about any half decent four-banger could beat your car the way it sits. Back in 1995, our cars were good. It's been 9 years, and things have changed. Old Mustangs are not an industry standard when it comes to performance. You want a fast car? You can buy mine....

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Why would Ford do that when they knew that the 5.0 aftermarket was booming, and idiots like us would buy the car despite how fast it is in stock form? You have to remember that just about any half decent four-banger could beat your car the way it sits. Back in 1995, our cars were good. It's been 9 years, and things have changed. Old Mustangs are not an industry standard when it comes to performance. You want a fast car? You can buy mine....

Joe

Yes thats right , you have 95 he have 03 , what if he have 95 like you , that kinda stuff pissed me off , people told me "man you have V8 with 215HP and I have 4 or 6 banger with same HP like you" wtf you have brand new car ,what if you have 94 :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

They can be made pretty quick, mostly because they are light and have very nice gearing in the 6 speed.

I've surprised ALOT of people in my Acura CL Type-S. I should be low 14's with some better than the stock crap tires and maybe a CAI.

But yeah, get some gears. It makes 3rd gear feel like 2nd, 4th feel like 3rd, etc.

Well, i have my 3.73 and a new clutch goin in next week and Im only getting charged $400 for both because its my buddies mechanic. Not bad eh.

The rsx didn't impress me much for out of the whole performance but that can all be brought down to who is driving. Ive trapped a best of 91 and that was before my catback exhaust which I dont think makes a noticable difference. But these 2.73's are killing me. When I hit third I can hear the clutch squeal and it fells like i hit slow motion or something. Not to mention getting close to 5k where the power drops anyways. But owell. Next time we race, Im going to powershift, have a close to empty tank which was full when we raced. And lower the pressure in the tires. Since Im decent at driving stick and I dont think this kid is, Ill pull in second and hopefully the all mighty vtec wont catch up when I hit third:lol:

I also raced my buddie's iroc camaro last night and the same exact thing happened, we were even in first and second and he pulled when I hit third. :shrug:

Time to mod, parts are slowly showing up at the door so ill post a new thread with pics when everything is on.

I have always walked RSX's? But then agian i have gears i guess....i have race one that had a low 14 sec time slip and on the street i still walked him....but on the street i barely lose to my friends LT1 and on at the track he walks me pretty good.

i think about it this way: for $20,000 he has a car that is about as fast as my car, which i paid $7,000 for. if i were to put $13,000 into it, whose car would be faster then? and whose would turn peoples heads?

btw, i am probably going to buy a 1995 triple black gt next week. they are so much less expensive to mod than the 4.6 modulars.

And they put more the 177rwhp stock. also when you say the price that can be said with any car but most wont turn heads like a mustang will.

Yeah, black SN95 Mustang = chick magnet.

The price per performance arguement will ALWAYS favor the Mustang. Anyone who tries to argue against that will LOSE. I sereiously can't think of anything out there that compares, hence the reason I bought one in the first place.