RSX Type S Pulled on me tonight.

cb18201 said:
finally someone who understands, everyone i have ever met besides my friends are affraid of steep gears, dont be affraid

I've been thinking about some steep gears myself lately (4.30's or 4.56's). What kinda time do you run w/yours? Did your mph drop a bunch or just a little? I on the fence, but I think that its definitly time to upgrade the gear...

• Sponsors (?)

finally someone who understands, everyone i have ever met besides my friends are affraid of steep gears, dont be affraid

4.10 with a 5spd is really pushing the limits of practicality. An auto is different of course. But, with a 5spd, 3.73 should be it unless you go with bigger tires. That extra shift in there can cost you more than the marginal bonus in acceleration. I guess everyone has their own strategy and setup, but from the calc's I've done, 3.73 is the best for the typical car.

At some point your first gear is so fast, you lose (or gain however you look at it) time becuase of that shift, and if you end up taking off in second, your tractive effort is less than it would be in 1st with a lower gear so you lose acceleration. All with the assumption that your car is only moderately modified (i.e slower than about 13 seconds). Once you start going faster than that, you move into a whole different ballgame of gearing /tires/tranny combinations.

Zero Signal said:
4.10 with a 5spd is really pushing the limits of practicality.

well what to you is practical? my idea of practical is alot different i can see, my car came with 373s and i think the guy wasted his money, if your going to rip apart the rear end why not put something in that you will actually notice and feel the difference.

cb18201 said:
well what to you is practical? my idea of practical is alot different i can see, my car came with 373s and i think the guy wasted his money, if your going to rip apart the rear end why not put something in that you will actually notice and feel the difference.
It partly depends on your mods. You have no idea how little time I spend in first gear with my setup, and I have 3.73's. The more horsepower you have the less you need gears.

Dave

HairyCanary said:
It partly depends on your mods. You have no idea how little time I spend in first gear with my setup, and I have 3.73's. The more horsepower you have the less you need gears.

Dave

that is true, i meant to add in if you have a blower or turbo you wont want steep gears also, but for my setup it helps me alot.

I think a 3.73 is a perfect gear for me because I live in the city and I also drive back and forth to the suburbs so its the best of both worlds. But if the car was a straight up drag car, then 4.30 would be goin in and a good size tire would be helping with traction out back. Ive riddin passenger in a blown 347 86 hatchback with 4.10's and it was amazing. Even with the timing retarted for street driving it was amazing the pull that it had. Something about being pinned to the seat while holding on to the roll cage is just awsome. And those little 85mph spedometers are worthless. LOL

why not put something in that you will actually notice and feel the difference

Have you driven a 5spd with 3.08's? Now THOSE suck.

One thing to consider is wether you are using it for the track or street use. If you're using it for the track, you'll want to know which gear you want to trap in. If you're trapping 90mph and want to end in 4th, the 4.30 is perfect. You just have to figure out wether that extra shift will hurt you or not. If you can shift really quickly while keeping traction, then you'd probably benefit from it.

Lol, how did this thread turn into a gear discusion

NO NO NO go with the 3.90s I think they would be perfect....you get a bit of everything. Why does it seem that no one likes the 3.90 gears? I dont get it IMO they would be a excelent gear for the person that isnt 100% sure between the 4.10s and the 3.73s

The 3.90 isn't made by ford yet. And ford gears dont need to be shimmed or somehting that has to do with the ring gear. It just makes for an easier install for the mechanic.

My mechanic called this mourning. He's done with the clutch and the gear. We dropped the car off at 3 yesterday and he dropped everything and started on my car right away. :banana:

Actually, once I get my car to hit mid 13's im done. If I do suspension, Ill be goin coil overs for front and back, MM caster/camber plates, tokicos or bilsteins, and QA1 tubular k-member and a arms. And of cours LCA's and UCA's. Maybe even a panhard bar.

But like I said, Im only aiming for 13's, possibly high 12's all motor. Me and my dad are looking for a project car and my sister might be selling her v6 which was once mine so we might drop a new motor into it with a 6spd. And its going to be sweet because I wont have to pay for any of it because its both of our cars. Wheras I have to pay for everything on my car. And the reason why I want it back is because I miss that color red a night time with a little mettalic in it.
image0030.jpg.jpg