RV CAM??? NEED SOME INFO

RV Cam to a ??? CAM

I bought a 351W off of ebay, from a whole sale engines shop, it a mid 80, completely remanufactured, with a cam upgrade. They told us that the cam was a RV Cam? But they didnt give us any info on it. We are getting a TCI breakaway TC installed monday in our FMX tranny, with a shift kit, has a 3.55 8.8 Rear end, and is a daily driven car. We are thinking about ditching the RV cam, and going towards a more mild cam, is there much difference between hydralic or mechanical, or flat tappet or roller cam for streetabilit? Any good cam options would be great, want to keep it as streetable as possible, but also want to give it some more power. So would switching to something like the Thumpr, 283THR7 cam help much and what else would we have to change for it???

• Sponsors (?)

so called RV cams are generally low lift, short duration, wide lobe separation cams designed to pump up the low end torque to the expense of power above 4000rpm.cam specs are up to the manufacturer though.

Generally you will find the RV cams have a little more duration and lift than the stock cams. They work great for towing and highway fuel mileage as they build good torque. As pointed out above, you will find them short on RPM though. Best off to find out exactly what is in there and then decide if that is what you want.

Nothing wrong with an RV cam. Especially if you want great bottom end and midrange. They'll still pull to 5000-6000 rpms, depending on the heads and exact cam. Crane's 272* Energizer could be called a hot RV type cam. I ran one in a 10.5 to 1 390 and it allowed me to run 89 octane fuel. It pulled from idle to 6000.

Alright, glad to finally hear someone, who has at least heard of one, or knows something about them.

i dont know why the logo "rv cam" still exists today. it got that moniker back in the late 60's when many builders were still using the terms 3/4 and full race cams to describe what they used in their engines. the "rv cam" was usually a mild street cam that could have slightly more or slightly less timing and lift than a stock cam did.

i dont know why the logo "rv cam" still exists today. it got that moniker back in the late 60's when many builders were still using the terms 3/4 and full race cams to describe what they used in their engines. the "rv cam" was usually a mild street cam that could have slightly more or slightly less timing and lift than a stock cam did.

+1. It's a generic description at best.

An "RV cam" is a cam with a profile often slightly more aggressive than stock, but still very much slanted toward torque and fuel economy. None of us can really tell much more than that without the actual specs.