RX-8 VS 2005 GT What do you think?

Roni

someone needs to pimp my ass
Mar 30, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I was out cruising tonight and met up with a RX-8. We were just messing around and flexin our stuff and having some fun, A few things I noticed was that the RX-8 took a sec or two to "Spool Up" In the End he backed and left me be. How is this matchup? any experiences?

• Sponsors (?)

Rx-8 or RX-7?

The RX-8's only run a 14.6 or so in the quarter mile and have no turbo. The RX-7 turbo from 93-95 would be a good matchup. I think they run 13.5's stock, but most are modified. U should be able to smoke a stock RX-8.

ya if u wanna get a japanese car to compete with the mustang, get a rx7 TT, supra TT, or 300zx TT. none if the NA japanese cars can compete. if you want a japanese car to run with the mustangs, you need one of the big dog turbo cars they dont make anymore, or at least export to the US.

2 guys at work have Rx-8's. Played with on on the interstate a few weeks back, I left it in 5th and pulled by him with ease at about 115 or so. I got to drive one of them and they don't have a lot of power to them, handle great though, would be alot of fun to drive if they gave them more HP.

Roni said:
I was out cruising tonight and met up with a RX-8. We were just messing around and flexin our stuff and having some fun, A few things I noticed was that the RX-8 took a sec or two to "Spool Up" In the End he backed and left me be. How is this matchup? any experiences?

Racing that WIMPLE engine isn't worth my time.

Roni said:
Stang all the way.

But the RX8's are a little bit odd ball.

They have 230bhp (model dependant) from a 1.3 litre engine, without a Turbo. So regardless, thats pretty impressive in itself!

They do seem to lack some of the instant grunt though and are a revvy motor so must shift pretty well once rolling. I've seen 0-60mph times quoted from as little as 5.9 seconds to 7.9 seconds for supposidly the same spec car, and some claims of mid 14 seconds ET's. However it must really have to shift once moving to get sub 15's as there are more reports than not of 0-60mph taking 6-7 seconds.

I raced one in my TR7 which I reckon should be a mid/low 14 second car, I didn't pull on him much but I was the faster - just.

The Stang definitely has the RX-8, but I do also like the looks of the RX-8. Both cars look really great in their latest iteration. If an RX-8 could have a V8, I wouldnt mind owning one either... Love the 4 doors concept, nice touch...

300bhp/ton said:
Stang all the way.

They have 230bhp (model dependant) from a 1.3 litre engine, without a Turbo. So regardless, thats pretty impressive in itself!

Keep in mind the Wanker rotory engine doesn't need to be large by design. Sure a 1.3 litre engine is small in terms of standard piston type engines... I wonder what kind of power you'd get out of a 4.6 litre rotary!?!?
However, the wanker also gets crap gas mileage and pollutes heavily. Don't the RX8's have 4 cats? or was that the RX7's?