Roush S281 and rattles

spederman

Apr 13, 2005
My car is a 2002 S281 with about 15K miles. And man, talk about the rattles in this thing. The plastic defrost insert in the dash, the plastic around the shifter, the plastic where saleen kills the fog light button, the rear quarter panels, Its all full of rattles. I was wondering is this just good old FORD quality shining through (sometimes I forget, in the end its still a ford) or is it because the suspension is just so stiff that it ends up jarring everything loose? I rode in my brothers brand new 2004 GT and his is really tight at the moment. I was wondering if his will end up like this, or is it all just having tight suspension that rattles everything loose after a few thousand miles of potholes and rough roads.

• Sponsors (?)

:D His will end up just like that too!

Most of the items you mentioned are classic Ford Mustang noises. I remember my father telling me to roll the window down and try to forget about them. That's what he did with his first car a 64 GTO. :D

Sorry I don't have a solution to all of your rattles. I'm just trying to help you vent. Be happy you don't have a vert, or do you? Life could be worse my friend.

Even the best Japanese cars will rattle and creak. Hands down, the only cars I have owned over the years that are the most solidly built are German cars, and I'm not talking about VW's and Audis.

The Germans just build really solid cars. Sorry to get off topic. I used to be a test driver for BMW. At the same time my friend, and still does works for GM. It was a real eye opening education to see how obsessed the Germans are about quality and perfection.
My buddy overheard a G.M. manager once say that "we build Corvettes the way we do so the guy absolutely has to come back after a few years and trade it in on a new one becuase it has become to fall apart".

I still buy G.M. though.

I figured they were normal. I dont really need a solution to the rattles, just wondering. BTW, its a hardtop. Dont get me wrong, I freaking LOVE my car. I wouldnt trade the stares that I get with it for anything. This is the most attention getting car I have ever been in. My buddies have BMW's, vettes, and one even has a Mercedes SL500, and my car gets more attention than theirs that cost double mine. I love it.