Sad day for me, Taking a leave from the mustang world.

MAC'n89Blckstng

Jun 11, 2003
NJ
Im going to be parting my car out soon. I've been thinkin about it for a while now and its the best thing for me to do right now. Im buying a 1990 Taurus SHO this week and will be not driving my baby anymore. Theres way to much work needed to be done to her for me to be happy with it. I dont have the time or money to put into to it right now. Im trying to finish up school and this car is getting in my way. It has severe chassis rust that I could fix but dont have the time to do it. Mostly becuase it has 250000 New Jersey miles on the body. I have rust in the shock tower pretty bad, and a hole in the drivers side floor pan. My rear has slowly started making alot of noise and my clutch is slipping in fourth and fifth if I punch it. As soon as the SHO is legal my stang days will be over for a while. I plan on putting every penny I make off the mustang in the bank towards savings for a really really clean car with no problems that I can start over with next summer. (Possibly a 93 Cobra). I've daily driven my car for 4 1/2 years and I've been through so much with it. Im gonna miss her dearly. :( :nonono: :( :nonono: :( :nonono: :(I've done everything on this car myself. Been through two cat backs, two clutches, 4 T-5's, two rears, two different sets of headers, rebuilt the motor by myself, put heads and intake on it. Every part on that car was put on by me and I think thats why Im so attatched to the car.

Bought it as a bone stock black gt. Put exhaust on it and bought wheels and a Saleen wing at the end of the summer and drove it like that for 6 months. Cracked her up November of my Senior year and drove it with no bumper, red fenders and a red hood for four months painted it and in which it turned into this
IMAGE0442.jpg

Went to college with this being the best she ever looked while I had her.
Alongtimeago.jpg

It stayed like that for a year and two months and then my wheel fell off superbowl sunday 06 goin up to school and I also got a new front bumper to replace the cracked one I had on there and my friend backed into it looking like this
PICT0110.jpg

PICT0111.jpg

I then decided to replace the rusty doors with some nice clean ones and that left it looking like this
PICT0116.jpg

PICT0117-1.jpg

PICT0118-1.jpg

I got some nice parts together and then got to priming it last year to make it presentable for a while in hopes that it would get painted soon.
SprayDay3.jpg

Cruisin18.jpg

Cruisin14.jpg

DSCN0487.jpg

DSCN0483.jpg

Here's what the interior looks like today.
DSCN0489.jpg

Here's what I envisioned my car eventually lookin like but I guess thats not gonna happen now.
TwoToneSuper302carwithorangedip.jpg

Anyone else have to deal with gettin rid of a car you really dont want to?

Attachments

• IMAGE0442.jpg
    IMAGE0442.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 121
  • Alongtimeago.jpg
    Alongtimeago.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 100
  • PICT0110.jpg
    PICT0110.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 94
  • PICT0111.jpg
    PICT0111.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 98
  • PICT0116.jpg
    PICT0116.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 98
  • PICT0117-1.jpg
    PICT0117-1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 104
  • PICT0118-1.jpg
    PICT0118-1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 113
  • SprayDay3.jpg
    SprayDay3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Cruisin18.jpg
    Cruisin18.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Cruisin14.jpg
    Cruisin14.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN0487.jpg
    DSCN0487.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN0483.jpg
    DSCN0483.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0489.jpg
    DSCN0489.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 88
  • TwoToneSuper302carwithorangedip.jpg
    TwoToneSuper302carwithorangedip.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Sponsors (?)

Wow man - sounds like you have a lot of work into your car. You sure you want to part it out? It sounds like you're really attached to it, so I wouldn't do anything you will regret later.

Yea I've thought about it for a long time, since I'm buyin this SHO, my parents say that I cant keep a second car in the driveway. I havent found a place to keep it for the winter. Im gonna ask my boss if i can keep it there to part it out. I am extremely attached to it but the body has seen better days. The only way I would "keep" it is if I do a body swap with a clean four cylinder body.

Yea - but it looks like you corrected most of the body issues - granted, you need a paint job, but it's lookin pretty good in grey!

Not to change the subject, but what did you do to turn the interior lights blue? LED lights or standard bulbs? Where did you get them from?

That sucks, but I know exactly where you are coming from. If you do plan to do another fox, just strip your car and keep the parts. You won't get back out nearly what you have into everything by selling the parts, then trying to build another car all over again. I like the idea of swapping everything to a clean 4 cyl. car. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yea - but it looks like you corrected most of the body issues - granted, you need a paint job, but it's lookin pretty good in grey!

Not to change the subject, but what did you do to turn the interior lights blue? LED lights or standard bulbs? Where did you get them from?

Agreed... I'd even like to know....

Sorry to hear about your car and all.... You have to do what you have to do....

It looks good in pictures but up close it has alot of small things to be corrected. I need to cut an weld metal in the quarters. Im torn on what to do. But I will most likely start over with a clean chassis.

Not to be a jerk, but I hope you've done your homework on the SHO. My family (dad, mom, brother) had a 95 for 8 years. In that time, my dad and I replaced:

5 alts. - very expensive and hard to find due to the Yamaha engine.
2 starters
1 shifter cable
2 tranny fluid and filter changes

did the 75k tune up - timing belt, water pump, checked valve lash. No hyd lifters. cam acts directly on valve stem hat. Engine later developed some strange noise. After reading on a few SHO forums. Believed to be timing chains (for intake and exhaust cam).

The transmission also started shifting funny.

I noticed you said it was a 90. Is it a manual or auto? 2.0 or 2.2? Ours was the 2.5. I know the autos have lots of issues.

I don't want to scare you, but I get the impression you're buying this car (and selling the mustang) for a daily driver. I don't want to see you sell your mustang for something reliable only to have more problems.

google SHO Forums and check it out for yourself. They are great cars. Very comfortable. That 4V motors sound great at 7000K!!!!!!! But, they do require alot of up-keep.

Good luck what ever you decide!!

Its owned by fmy SHO fanatic friend that absolutely babies it. Only needs front brakes and rear calipers. I'm gonna baby it as well, but my stang has alot of problems that I cant afford and getting this car right now is the best deal for the money. The stangs just gettin unsafe to drive.

Sounds like you know about their reputation. Too bad I say. With a little more time and engineering prior to production. SHO's could've been a really good car. I enjoyed driving my parents. Great highway car.

Which engine/tranny does the car your look at have? Miles?

Sounds like you know about their reputation. Too bad I say. With a little more time and engineering prior to production. SHO's could've been a really good car. I enjoyed driving my parents. Great highway car. Which engine/tranny does the car your look at have? Miles?

Im buying this car to drive to and from school (150 miles one way) every week to work and have some kind of income during school. The SHO is a 91 Emerald Green Plus model. Its got the 3.0L with the MTX 5 speed. Its gonna be way cheaper on gas over my 20 mpg highway I get now with the stang.

too bad you didn't post this a few weeks ago. rsstang had an to fox chassis 1 notch, 1 hatch....solid cars w/ titles just sitting. He wanted $50 for both....coulda been yours. I know your not far away b/c you did get that cobra bumper off of me awhile ago. Oh well, off to the crusher now.

Selling that car for an sho is a latteral move. Sho's are notoriously unreliable, and god forbid you need and engine or trans, you are screwed. I know, we used to have one. Fun car, but a bitch to work on and parts are expensive.
People have a habit of beating them like mustangs, but they are not one.

Oh man I would have definately take a four cyl. I've been talkin to my friends about this situation and I think I'm gonna take a leave of absence for a while in the mustang world, store my car somewhere and next year do a body swap and do everything right the first time. Im happy but sad at the same time. Im gettin this SHO as a daily so I can just drive it. Not gonna beat it, no hammering gears or anything like that.