Safe RPM Range

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 98" Cobra last summer. It only had 17,000 miles so I guess you could say that it is still fairly new. This is the first car that I've had with such a high red line. I've been a little hesitant about over reving the engine. My question is what is the highest safe RPM to take the engine to on a regular basis without hurting the motor?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

WhiteyAK said:
Hi Guys,

I just bought a 98" Cobra last summer. It only had 17,000 miles so I guess you could say that it is still fairly new. This is the first car that I've had with such a high red line. I've been a little hesitant about over reving the engine. My question is what is the highest safe RPM to take the engine to on a regular basis without hurting the motor?

Thanks

Rev that sucker - she loves it. Power really comes on between 5000-6300.

peace

Man you guys are missing out!!! Hit 7k with a quick 1-2 shift and get back on that loud pedal! You WONT regret it and the car will feel like it should. These motors were built for high-rpms. 5.0 powerband and N/A 4.6 4v powerbands are COMPLETELY different. This is why you see so many 4.6's geared so low (4.56/4.30). Life doesn't really start on these until 4.5-6.8K.

doogz said:
Man you guys are missing out!!! Hit 7k with a quick 1-2 shift and get back on that loud pedal! You WONT regret it and the car will feel like it should. These motors were built for high-rpms. 5.0 powerband and N/A 4.6 4v powerbands are COMPLETELY different. This is why you see so many 4.6's geared so low (4.56/4.30). Life doesn't really start on these until 4.5-6.8K.

Couldn't agree more.

Our DOHC V8's were MADE to revv high. I probably redline multiple times daily. I love putting it in nuetral on the highway and revving up to 7000rpm. Gives the people around me something to drool over.

I have almost 50,000 miles on my motor, and am not worried whatsoever. IMO the motor could take 50,000 more miles of PURE abuse, and could go 200,000+ with proper treatment. With 17,000 miles, as long as you do reg. maitnance on it, you should be able to revv it's brains out whenever your little heart desires.

Wind that puppy up. I used to love to take my '99 'vert up to the redline. What a blast! The sound is incredible. Getting on the expressway on a cloverleaf and winding it up as you go under the bridge is music, especially with the top down. Ditto the Atlantic City mid-town connector tunnel. It is a blast to drive on the e-way in third gear. It keeps you right in the power band and sounds great doing it. The '99 is more fun to drive, in that respect, than my '03.

Your cars redline is a bit conservative. You ain't going to hurt it, uless you don't take care of your motor. Then again, that holds true with any car.

:flag: :nice:

Your new toy is good until the soft cut-off at 6950 and that shortblock is good for 65o horses. So use the car like the good people who built it intended and max to 6800 at least once a day. You gasoline loving soul will love you for it and any ricers will understand that they should eat beef when the damm ground really shakes over their stupid inaccurate subwoofers pound!