Roush Saleen looking at other manufacturers?

Cali 281SC said:
Well said Marcus.

Due to my line of employment, I am forced to deal with insurance carriers daily. For those who haven't addressed the situation, here are some basic tips:

When insuring the vehicle, it's best to give the agent a copy of the window sticker and mod list. Have a discussion as to why the vehicle is different than a GT, or a v6, and how you will expect to be compensated for the full fair market value of the vehicle in the event there is a collisions or a total loss. Draft a letter with this information and submit it. Have the agent sign it if necessary.

At this point you will typically see the premium price raise beyond the GT range. The carrier may advise you to get Lojack or some electronic tracking device to lower the premium, as Saleens can be categorized as high theft risk.

The scariest thing I hear is when people say "Oh yeah, I bought a Saleen, and guess what? I got a real good deal on my insurance! Same price as a regular mustang!" Sometimes, it's not really the carrier's fault, how can we expect the 50 year old insurance agent who drives a Buick to even know what a S351 or S281-E means? Even worse is the guy who "pretends" the car is a regular mustang when calling to have the policy issued. You are only fooling yourself if you do this. Wait until it's time to make a claim.

Your premium is based on several factors, including the dealer installed options and modifications to the car (whether they are done in a factory in Irvine, or your garage). If you do not alert the carrier to the enhancements, your premium will be based on a stock vehicle, and therefore, as the saying goes, you shall get what you pay for. How can they compensate you for a $55,000.00 Saleen when you are paying the insurance premium for a $25,000 GT (depending on the year of course)?

By no means is this an attempt to defend insurance practices. I have nothing but contempt and disdain for the majority of their methods. Just some friendly words of advice so less people get burned.

Oh yeah, sorry for the thread hijack.

-J

Very good information. To add a little further, I take pictures every 6 months of the car and provide them to my agent. I also have the 1500 mile a yr policy so I have to show pictures of the odometer as well. I would certainly agree with Marcus and say his 50% for insured Saleens as GT's is higher then that.

This has been a very informative thread, tks to all that have contrubited as I am not really "up" on Saleen stuff lately.

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno.

either way time will tell how much a Saleen mustang will be worth in the future and if they have the interest as the old Shelbys.

Sorry to get off topic again but do any of you guys watch the re-runs of the Barret Jackson on Speed in the evenings? I can't believe what some of these guys are spending for restored 50's and 60's muscle cars. I saw a 1967 427 vert Vette go for 205 thousand bucks the other night. It was restored perfect but not too perfect to represent how it came off the assemblyline like un even door jamb fit but come on. Just amazing.

On the topic of saleen doing other brand names, i spoke with my buddy who owns a mustang shop, and intalls saleen superchargers, along with the front shop (seperate but in the same location) who is a saleen dealer.
They seem to think it would be very beneficial to dodge enthusiats for saleen to jump in, because they need some big names to crack the dodge computers, my buddy has sct and sniper connections and supposidly they say at this point it's near impossible, and some of the dodge cars at sema will have superchargers and such on them, but most will not run correctly.