satellite radio install questions

so i was thinking about getting satellite radio for my 06 gt. it has the shaker 500 system. my questions are: what is needed to add the integrated system in the car so i can use my factory head unit and not an auxiliary separate unit. i work for lexus and when we do a sirius sat install all we have to do is plug 5 connectors into the amp and put the antenna next to the center high mount brake light in the back window. boom done. and what is the price for parts because id be doin it myself.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you will have to pay Ford's prices which are much more than the cost of adding an aftermarket head unit and satellite.
I looked into it a couple years ago and was shocked at Ford's prices. The Skipper 500, I mean Shaker, sells for more than $700 for comparison purposes.

mustangmike6996,

I too have an 06 Mustang GT and am looking for Sirius radio. I would also like to be able to hook up my IPod and control it by the radio.

Here's what I found:
If you want to stick with the Shaker 500 HeadUnit, then I believe you can just use the FM transmitter that comes with the Sirius receiver. You can get a FM Direct Connect to the antenna wire if you are getting too much static with the transmitter. If you want IPod connectivity, then I believe the BrandMotion Ipod connector will work (depending on your radio) and you can control your IPod through the radio.

It looks like I will go with a different HU. The Sony CDX-GT610Ui already comes with an IPod adapter and cable, and it has an aux input for the Sirius SIR-SNY1. If you get it from Crutchfield, the radio receiver comes with a mounting kit and harness, plus instructions. Didn't see the same deal on Best Buy's website.

Where do you plan on putting the antenna? I saw on a forum (can't remember if it was here or on another) that someone was successful putting the receiver under the plastic cowling below outside below the windshield. It was an older model Mustang, though, so I'm not sure if it will work with the 05+.

I may try to keep it inside the back window...but I heard that it cuts out pretty easily if it is inside. I don't really want to put it above the rear windshield like Sirius/XM recommends...don't want to break the car's lines up.

I ask that same queston to my service tech about putting sirus on my 07 GT, and told me it would be around 300 bucks. My 08 fusion has the same head unit as my 07 stang and the fusion has sirus, so it must be something that is added on.

so even if you get the 07 shaker head unit you still need other hardware and an antenna dont you???

You need an 07+ HU that is already sat radio ready and I dont believe you have to get hardware but you will have to get the antenna and figure a place to mount it. I believe someone on here mounted theirs in the rear deck between the speakers for a real clean look.

You can put the antenna below your rear deck lid. It is out of sight and works fine. I did this because I have factory satellite and put in an aftermarket head unit. The factory satellite only works with the factory radio. Thus I had to add a new Sirius tuner. The antennas also are not compatible so I had to have a second antenna. Ford's is bolted to the trunk lid so I could not get rid of it.
That's why I hid the new one.
Why can't we all get along?
In other words, why can't all that stuff be built to work with different brands. Some standarization would be great.

I have an 05 GT and added a Sirius Starmate, couldn't get any feedback from dealer on a clean solution to the shaker 1000. Added the antenna inside the car back by the speakers with a little velcro, mounted as far back as you can go (lower part of rear window) works like a champ. wire tucked in moldings going back to the front of car.

i heard that the 06 f150 unit part number 6L3T-18C963-AE is the only one that will work. i saw it on another forum... someone bought it used for like 200 bucks or so. but apparently that is the only one that will work with the 06 stangs.... anyone know anything about this?

You could also mount the antenna like this:

sirius5.jpg

BTW, just upgraded from the Stratus to the Sportster 5.
Looks so cool.
I'll try to get pictures if I get a day off this week.

Satellite antenna location

After reading your discussion, I put the XM antenna between the rear speakers under the deck cover, and it works great until I head north. At that time, I get interrupted signals. It seems that there is a blanking. Maybe it is XM and Sirius works. Idon't believe the rear deck cover should matter since I had the same antenna under the dashboard on at Prowler. Nice install on the tiedown covers. Comments?