SC and mileage.

BennytheJet

Dec 23, 2004
I plan on adding a SC to my 06 Mustang by the end of the year or next summer. By that time, I should have roughly 20-25,000 mile on my car. Are there any downsides to adding an SC with that kind of mileage as oppose to one with lower miles? Are there any parts I would want to have replaced or upgraded? Does it even matter? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

at 400rwhp, not much NEEDS to be upgraded. most supercharger kits will come with what you NEED. a better clutch would be a safe upgrade, but not required immediately. also some things depend on which supercharger you plan to use.

most stock shortblocks have failed when near the 450rwhp mark. some more, some less. forged internals are a good idea, but at 400 hp, not 100% needed. a safe tune will help your shortblock live longer.

So I guess I pretty set to go. It just seemed like most people put there superchargers on as soon as they get their car or soon after. I thought it would be different for higher mileage, but I guess not. BTW, I am currently going with a Saleen.

I know I'd like to get a SC and get the car to around 450-460rwhp. Been doing alot of reading and research on the net and feel pretty confident that even tho alot (ALOT) of shops tell you they've got cars at that level without upgrades, that they aren't using them as daily drivers etc. In my particular case, everyone recommends forged pistons and rods, swapping the clutch and crankshaft and a few other odds and ends.

From what I've read over and over, the threshhold like Bigcat mentioned is ballpark 450, so really you should be safe. Enjoy that Saleen!