SC + T5 + 400HP=?

DRock9

Aug 22, 2006
I am going to get a SC Trim soon and am going to slowly upgrade it to give me more boost and add methanol injection...how long do you think my stock T5 would last at 400-450WHP? If going to the track and launching it means killing my tranny then count me out, atleast until I can scrounge up enough dough to drop in a better one. If I can survive normal street driving and some roll racing then that would be amazing!

I have just heard some horror stories of stock cars breaking them, but then I have heard some supporting like 500whp...I am just looking for some insight.

Thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

Third gear is what usually dies first. So with 400 HP, it will last 2 or maybe 3 full power, never lift to shift runs.

Drive it like a Granny and it may last a long time, but most Grannies aren't very exciting...

My brother's car had over 500 hp and a T5. He never had it at the track. He had ET Streets (not radials) on it and that tranny took a beating. He drove the **** out of it. The tranny is still good. I put it in my car after putting new syncros in.

On the other had, I've seen quite a few die with a stock 5.0.
I think if you happen to get a good, strong one, you're lucky. Sometimes though, they are just weak.

It is hard to say. I have had a t-5 last a few months and the one I currently have in has lasted 2 years. The fact of the matter is it is rated for 300 to 330 ft/lbs of torque. You are taking it over design so it will not last forever.

Right now as I am driving it is not going into second and fourth, sometimes third, and it pops out of gear. Most of the time though if I just keep putting pressure on it, it will eventually go into gear. Syncro's bad?

I have a sc trim with t-5. Just added a Snow Methanol kit and MT drag radials 2 weeks ago. The last tranny lasted 3 years on the street and track 12.44 best et 124.60 best mph, but with street tires. The new to me T5 ($200.00) is holding up well on the street with the drag radials. Hope to get to the track soon with the new tires and methanol.:D

Right now as I am driving it is not going into second and fourth, sometimes third, and it pops out of gear. Most of the time though if I just keep putting pressure on it, it will eventually go into gear. Syncro's bad?

Yeah, syncro's bad! If you keep forcing it don’t be surprised if you need new gears and blocker rings as you will round the corners off of the them.

Also, don't think the t5's are safe on the street with higher h/p…especially from a roll. Mine for example toasted 3rd gear with a slow roll into 3rd gear. As soon as the boost came up while maintaining traction….kaboom she went. Normally I'd just say sell the t-5 while it's still good to recoup some of the costs of an upgraded tranny…but in your case I'd just save up for a new one. Your going to spend the better part of $150+ (much more if you need hard parts) just for the DIY rebuild…and there is no guarantee that it will even last.

What do you guys think the MAX torque/HP I can push through a NWC/WC T5 safely? If it means not launching the car then so be it, I will sacrifice that for having the power. I am really dissapointed that I can't just simply bolt on my SC and go, and that I will probably have to change the tranny/axles just so it will support the power I want...which makes it just a little bit too much money for a HS/College kid.

Is there any other way I can achieve the power I want with a different type of adder? Be it Nitrous or HCI? I couldn't see Nitrous being any better seeing as it hits with more of a shock.

Meh...maybe I will just buy some rims...ah it gets me so mad because I bought all the suspension stuff with the intentions of putting some big power on here.

well, if you drive a mustang how it should be driven :D

if you don't have enough cash for a TKO, then drive it like a grandma for a while. i highly recommend to start saving for a new transmission though

Knock on wood dude.

T-5s are weak even under stock conditions. Once you add more power, it is not a question of if, but when.

My N/A windsor car that was pushing about 400rwhp ate three of them in a span of a couple years.

Alternately, I have blown them out of bone stock cars as well.

Like someone already said, they are rated for about 300-320ft/lbs of torque...well, a stock 5.0 (dependant on year) is already pushing that.

The weakest link in your car will blow first, and that link is the T-5 90% of the time.

Hopefully I can get a low 12-sec car with my stock T5...I would be happy with that I guess. Also I noticed something on my last drive, it was about 10 minutes long and it only happened once going into 4th. But on the ride back it happened a few couple times...would it still be the syncro's?

Well I have an sc trim, heads cam intake blah blah and I still have the stock clutch as well as tranny. I have made at least 25-30 passes at the track and most of them with Nitto drag radials. The t-5 will last if you drive it somewhat moderate, here is what you have to remember though: Most 5.0 guys beat the ever living S outta their cars without thinking twice. The thought of not power shifting at the track just astonishes them. I do not power shift and have enjoyed 12's on street tires and am awaiting a new rearend to get past those high 12's (one tire fire accounts for 2.4 60' times/ power accounts for 114+ trap speeds...) ITS ALL IN HOW YOU DRIVE.

Well that is some good news.

And to add to my post before this, it seems like it is now happening in 5th aswell...what are the odds that it is the sycro's with my 2,3,4, and 5th gears all at the same time?

Could it be something else maybe the clutch isn't disengaging all the way?

Well I have an sc trim, heads cam intake blah blah and I still have the stock clutch as well as tranny. I have made at least 25-30 passes at the track and most of them with Nitto drag radials. The t-5 will last if you drive it somewhat moderate, here is what you have to remember though: Most 5.0 guys beat the ever living S outta their cars without thinking twice. The thought of not power shifting at the track just astonishes them. I do not power shift and have enjoyed 12's on street tires and am awaiting a new rearend to get past those high 12's (one tire fire accounts for 2.4 60' times/ power accounts for 114+ trap speeds...) ITS ALL IN HOW YOU DRIVE.

It is not all in how you drive! The stock t-5's have a notoriously weak case and cluster…which when stressed beyond the torque rating can catastrophically fail (typically 3rd gear). There have been plenty of us who don't beat on their trannys yet have exposed their weakness. Do not think that just because you don't power shift you are safe. If you are pushing your t-5 tranny far beyond it's stock torque ratings…be prepared to pony up for another when it goes. It may not happen for a week…a year or even longer. Make no mistake though, it will let loose.

What are the odds of the syncro's in 4 of my gears going at the same time?

EDIT: I baby this thing, I have only ever dropped the clutch 2-3 times and never power-shifted.
There was one owner before me and he was a Colonel in the Navy, and babied the hell out of this car.

It is not all in how you drive! The stock t-5's have a notoriously weak case and cluster…which when stressed beyond the torque rating can catastrophically fail (typically 3rd gear). There have been plenty of us who don't beat on their trannys yet have exposed their weakness. Do not think that just because you don't power shift you are safe. If you are pushing your t-5 tranny far beyond it's stock torque ratings…be prepared to pony up for another when it goes. It may not happen for a week…a year or even longer. Make no mistake though, it will let loose.

Simply said we comletely disagree. I understand there are weak points, but my tuner, myself, and the shop I take my cars to all have rocked t-5s at my power level without worries. How you drive affects EVERYTHING and powershifting ups those odds. If I have ponied up the dollars already for the engine build dont you think I am expecting to continue to spend money, and what is the difference if it fails or I take it out before it fails? Does that make the new tranny cheaper? NO. Also, if the stock clutch is still holding it should make one think..hmmmm maybe driving does have something to do with it...:nice: