Scarcity of Fox Body Parts

Aaron

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I don't know about all of you, but I am getting a bit worried about the fact that some parts will be getting harder and harder to find as our beloved Foxes get older. A perfect example is airbag components, for us that have airbags. During my search for airbag components, I found out there are less than 30 new airbag diagnostic monitors in the USA, and once they fail, they cannot be fixed. I'm sure the airbags themselves are the same thing. Some states are lenient on non functional airbag systems, but it's an immediate inspection failure here in NY. It's sad to think that one day, I may not be able to get a passing mark on my '90.
I wonder what else is becoming obscure?

• Sponsors (?)

living in a non inspection state that doesnt worry me too much. I do have a vert though and a lot of the rubber, fasteners, and other misc items for the top have been out of production for over 10 years now. I am at the mercy of the JY and teh 'bay so you can guess the condition of those items.

Lately I find myself stashing extra fox parts that I have, where as a year or two ago the would have been on ebay. Who knows how long it will take for some parts to be made, and then when they are, how will the quality be.

the fox is like a tri 5 chevy or the 80's....there will always be parts for them...but yeh im sure certaing lil parts like stuff for verts,t tops and like said airbag stuff im sure aftermarkets will be made but the question is the quality if it should worry

I don't see it being a problem out where I'm living right now for at least another 10 years. The only thing not available locally are new rubber parts (weatherstripping and the like) and that can always be had from places like 50resto and such. The rest is exempt from the effects of rust and corrosion out here in the desert, and I've always been able to walk into my local podunk junkyard and find what I'm looking for 9 times outta 10. Hell, there's even TWO Capris sitting in there with front-ends begging to be reclaimed and transplanted onto Frankenstang's car. :shrug:

If any of you need fox parts...PM me. I have saved a lot of stuff over the last 8 years, and I constantly buy new ones for parts. I am somebody you can trust using PayPal and UPS with. Ask 1990Coupe. I sent him stuff twice. My Dad bought the place in 1990, I have worked there since 1997, and I've been on SN since 2001. I'm not going anywhere. I'll take care of a fellow member. :D

you cant go to a pull-a-part around here and find a fox with anything on it. Ive started hording some of the vert trim and other parts back, to bad i didnt have room for that rear quarter...

I found myself putting away a couple of NOS Sunroof Pieces I found when I was restoring my old one. I think I also have a few odds and ends stashed away in case I ever need something in an emergency.