Scary possessed passenger door

hunterhicks

Dec 4, 2003
D/FW
As james bond as my Eject Door is, I need to fix it.

My passenger door has a random issue- staying shut. It usually works fine- but, sometimes not so much- I don't have to slam it to get it to catch- just a few gentle trys, and then it latches.
The real problem is that the door randomly popped open on the road once. and we all know that rolling your passenger at speed really makes them not want to ride with us again.

I've taken the latch out, completely cleaned it, lubed it, moved the striker plate around, etc.

is this just a worn out latch? can the striker wear out?

early 65 converbible.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Since you have a convertible, I'm guessing your subframe isn't in optimal condition any more and that the car flexes a lot going over bumps, etc, adding to other issues and leading to the door unlatching. If you jack up one end of the car a bit, can you still open your door? If you can't, you have confirmed my suspicion. The stock early coupe/fastback structure is close enough to jello. I can't imagine what a convertible must be like.

Your hinges may need to be rebuilt, too (a much easier and cheaper job than adding chassis strengtheners). Check for this by lifting up on the door when it is open only a little way and seeing what happens If you see/feel much movement in the door before the car moves, the hinge bushings/pins need replacing and/or the hinges need to be tightened to the body or door. Also check for cracks around the door latch mechanism at the end of the door. This is a common stress area on old Mustangs, and they sell patches to screw in/bond in to repair the damage. Don't mask the problem by just adjusting the striker, though. This will lead to even more wear in parts actually causing the problem.
Daniel

The frame is actually quite strong- no problems on jacks, etc. there is a tiny bit of movement, but no more than what happed to my SVO when I jacked it up. And it's not a 'pops open over bumps' thing- It's just generally possessed.

I'll do the right thing and just replace both parts- that'll get it. ;)

I am willing to bet its a spring that has broken and when you are taking it out you dont realize that its missing. I know its a pain, but see if you can take both sides out and compare. I am pretty sure I had this happen years ago and replaced the spring with a $.35 hardware store spring.

Does it appear to be snuggly latched and then just kinda open up at random times?

I had that spring problem too. It is a pin to see and a pain to replace. I got new ones from NPD, I think. It helps to have a pic or at least a digram so you know where to hook it. Do a search; someone on here had the best pics I have ever seen of the assembly.

I'll take a close look- I think I have an old extra banged up one somehwhere- probably will replace the whole thing. it came open on me on the road the other day again... glad the girl was not in there, she would have wet herself...