school me on "a good set" heads,intake.Street car

The AFR heads come with better valvetrain now "STOCK", aka: 600" lift.

Lift is not a factor when it comes to flycutting pistons. It is the period of overlap.

It is not all about flow numbers. If you want to get into that, the AFRs have a superior exhaust side to practically any head in its respective class.

After all, you can get the air in, but you need to get it out:nice:

Lift is not the only factor…but it's still a factor none the less.

Flow numbers may not tell the whole story…but it seems to be a big deciding factor when choosing heads. There is obviously far more to it than that, and there are many other factors to consider. You can't deny the TFS heads expandability though. I've seen some pretty good flow numbers out of a set of ported twisted wedge heads. Correct me if I'm wrong...but in the case of AFR heads, you have to step up to their bigger heads rather than hog em out to upgrade. Is this a truth, or are the 165 and 185 heads able to be ported to flow what something along the lines of a 205 can?

• Sponsors (?)

Lift is not the only factor…but it's still a factor none the less.

Flow numbers may not tell the whole story…but it seems to be a big deciding factor when choosing heads. There is obviously far more to it than that, and there are many other factors to consider. You can't deny the TFS heads expandability though. I've seen some pretty good flow numbers out of a set of ported twisted wedge heads. Correct me if I'm wrong...but in the case of AFR heads, you have to step up to their bigger heads rather than hog em out to upgrade. Is this a truth, or are the 165 and 185 heads able to be ported to flow what something along the lines of a 205 can?

Tell me how lift is a factor;) When it reaches peak lift, the piston is way down the bore, possibly more than 2.00".

When the piston is coming up and is at top dead center, why would you want the valve opened all the way. There is no volume to displace here:nice:

A late exhaust valve closure and an early intake valve opening, and a steep ramp rate will cause a stock .444" lift camshaft to hit. But there are several guys that have run .600" lift at the valve without hitting the stock pistons.

I do know that AFR uses entirely different castings for their heads. I am almost certain you could "port" the 165cc version to a 205cc volume, but doing so you may ruin the shape and design of the efficient port.

There are a few places that port AFR heads, but I am not for sure on "how far."

The issue I see with porting AFR heads, which is why most do not, is you get rid of the CNC finish:(

I do like Trickflow, so do not get me wrong:)

Tell me how lift is a factor;) When it reaches peak lift, the piston is way down the bore, possibly more than 2.00".

When the piston is coming up and is at top dead center, why would you want the valve opened all the way. There is no volume to displace here:nice:

A late exhaust valve closure and an early intake valve opening, and a steep ramp rate will cause a stock .444" lift camshaft to hit. But there are several guys that have run .600" lift at the valve without hitting the stock pistons.

I do know that AFR uses entirely different castings for their heads. I am almost certain you could "port" the 165cc version to a 205cc volume, but doing so you may ruin the shape and design of the efficient port.

There are a few places that port AFR heads, but I am not for sure on "how far."

The issue I see with porting AFR heads, which is why most do not, is you get rid of the CNC finish:(

I do like Trickflow, so do not get me wrong:)

Well...I was thinking about fast ramps along with high lift causing possible issues...but thinking about it now I'm not really sure that would be an issue for most people.

It's all good though...I dig AFR heads too, I just found TFS to suit my needs...and I found a killer deal on them.

AFRs with a custom cam and eddy rpm II intake. My cam is fairly aggressive, but drives very well, and comes in by 2500rpm. It also drives well below the rpm. I also only have the old rpm intake. I'd like to switch to an rpm II.

What about Eddy Performer heads? I was going to match those to a Performer intake and am still mulling over the idea of switching from my stock cam/1.72 set-up while I have everything apart. I do need street manners and an idle that doesn't cause the engine to stall if I am stuck in Boston traffic.

BTW, any tuners in the Boston area?

Summit is a Huge Company and I believe they own part of Trick Flow, it says Big Shot Dyno did the Tuning and burned the Custom SCT Chip for it. They did a Ton of Mods besides the Trick Flow H/C/I, just pick up a Summit Catalog its in the Center.

yeah but they used mostly summit brand stuff and maybe that shows that their products arent that great. and they didnt say that the cam was matched for the heads and intake either. there has to be something wrong with that setup. it should have put down around 290-300 i think

Looks like Summit took it to Big Shot Dyno, not sure what brand their Dyno is.

Taken from their website.

We will provide our customers with state-of-the-art Dynojet dynamometer services to evaluate and quantify the horsepower and torque of their current and future engine components.

I don't know what the problam is. Its just weak.

Lotta mathamaticians- I was never that good at algabra. TMoss ported stock intake, Thumper ported stock E7's, Ford Racing E cam, and my original speed density all added up to $1200 tweak on a kick ass ride with bulletproof reliability, that can more than defend itself against the majority of iron I might see on the street, where I drive my car.

...Ford Racing E cam, and my original speed density all added up to $1200 tweak on a kick ass ride with bulletproof reliability, that can more than defend itself against the majority of iron I might see on the street, where I drive my car.

How are the E cam's street manners meaning accessory function at idle, driveability in stop and go traffic, gas mileage, etc?

50tech dot com has a lot of info for speed density guys. My choice would be AFR 165's with a stock cam and gt-40 intake. The combo works great together. 50tech has a thread about SD cams, what works and what will not. Good luck

sorry for resurecting an old thread, but im curious if this is actually a good combo. I was thinking of a setup like this, except it would be a stock HO cam on my 1994 and not a SD cam. AFR 165/stock HO cam/ported cobra intake.

sorry for resurecting an old thread, but im curious if this is actually a good combo. I was thinking of a setup like this, except it would be a stock HO cam on my 1994 and not a SD cam. AFR 165/stock HO cam/ported cobra intake.

The stock cam is not going to slow you down as much as you'd think with that combo. Car Craft did a pretty infamous build of a roller-302 (5.0) with a stock HO cam, the older AFR 165's, and an eddy peformer intake (carb) and made close to or above 400 fwhp. That's of course with no accessories, etc. but I would be totally happy with that.

You're certainly sacrificing some power up top, but if this car's primary intended purpose is for the street, I wouldn't care too much. You can probably find that article on the afr headed 302 on www.carcraft.com if you dig around a little.