Seat belt replacement

Has anyone tried to get the belt retractor out of a convertible before? Holly smokies there isn't any room to turn the bit and if there was it is stuck in there like its been there for 20 years!

Any recommendations? Any success stories?

Basically, the retractors don't retract and I want to replace the unit. Maybe a cleaning somehow might help?
Talking about passenger front here specifically, but both shoulder belts ultimately.

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced the seat belts on my '88. It wasn't that hard. I used a 1/2 driver and whatever sized torx bit it was (t45?). The bit and an extension has to be about 3" long to clear the retractor. When you take the seat belt out you have to cut the safety cable that connects to the retractor. The new seat belts I got from 5.0 resto didn't have this safety cable, so I wouldn't worry about it. I personally would never use a used or old seat belt. You can get new ones for around $200 from 50resto.

Oh, and take the rear seat out or you will never get the trim panel back on without cursing a lot. I just mean taking out the lower part not the seat back. I find taking out the seat easier when you have the top down, this way you can kneel down put you knees into the front of the seat better.