Second Mustang. Any thoughts on a '79?

stmcatee

Jan 18, 2011
Looking at buying another car to drive while I finish up my current project (1973 Mach 1) and found a 1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car for $2500. 5L, 5-speed (B&M shifter, but I don't know what the transmission actually is). Needs paint touch up and new seat upholstery, possibly foam, has a small dent in one door and one wheel.
Is it a good price/find? I've been looking for a fox body for a while now and it looks sweet. Any tips on things to check before I buy would helpful too.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

A Pace Car for $2500 that runs and isn't rusty is a good buy. Recovering the seats with the proper fabric will be quite expensive and the car came with a four-speed, if you care. Personally, I don't see how you could lose money on it, if it's all there.

Thanks. I plan to have it checked by a mechanic before I buy, so I'll check for rust. If I buy it I will be driving it as my primary car, and it already has 111,000 mile on it. Is that a bad idea?

There's one local for i think $3900 and it only has like 79k original miles, no rust, very nice original paint. They're out there you just have to find people hard up for money.