Self Tuning

SjStang00

Feb 20, 2008
Florida
I just got my got my 2000 GT over this last weekend. the previous owner did a bunch of engine and tranny work to the car, but did not reprogram the ECU to what he did. now its performing worse and im getting horrbile gas mileage. is there anyway i can self tune my car or reprogram the ECU myself?

• Sponsors (?)

yes, there are tuning kits out there like the SCT Pro Racer Package (i have it) and Sniper Tuning. they'll both let you tune anything your local tuner can do. if you want to go the "off the shelf" style tune, just let a good tuner know what mods you have and they can put a tune on a flasher for you.

buy the sniper special forces software and it allows u to create custom tunes for ur car. u can just select the modifications the car has and it will provide u with a base tune, then it allows u to tweak that tune to get it perfect. i bought it a few months ago and love it. very user friendly and easy to use. they have great customer service as well. very good product. i ordered mine from willy at dirtydirtyracing.com great guy.

commando is the equivalent to the sct proracer from what i understand. commando gives u complete control over everything. with special forces u do not have complete control, its more of a beginner friendly package. u can make changes to the a/f ratio, u can add or remove timing, u can raise idle but not lower it, u can raise the rev limiter but not lower it, same with speed limiter. for the most part special forces is all u will ever need, but if u have an all out race car then commando is what u want. my mods are in my sig and i was able to use special forces along with a wideband, to tune my car what i would call perfectly in a matter of about 7 passes down the 1/8th. its very very easy to use and no other program can match it for the money period. not to mention ur allowed to tune 2 cars with it at the same time, not just one. and for every additional vehicle u wish to tune its $200/car. i bought it and couldnt be happier. i dont see a reason to buy any other program. if u buy from willy at dirtydirty racing he is super helpful in doing anything u need. the program also comes with a datalogger for free.

alright thanks for the info :nice:
I'm tied between tryin out sniper tuning or just ordering an SCT xcal 2 from MPH with Tim's tune.

I'm in the same boat as the thread creater SJstang00. My car feels way out of tune and its getting terrible gas mileage.

i have TB, Plenum, CAI, o/r X pipe, catback, and i'll be throwin on some shorties by next week...
Even without the shorties, my car feels like its lacking in the low end and smells pretty damn bad now.

I'm tied between tryin out sniper tuning or just ordering an SCT xcal 2 from MPH with Tim's tune.

I'm in the same boat as the thread creater SJstang00. My car feels way out of tune and its getting terrible gas mileage.

i have TB, Plenum, CAI, o/r X pipe, catback, and i'll be throwin on some shorties by next week...
Even without the shorties, my car feels like its lacking in the low end and smells pretty damn bad now.

it may not be the tune. with just those mods, i would guess you have something mechanically wrong with your car. i would check the o2 sensors and exhaust for leaks and make sure the CAI, TB, and plenum are all installed properly.

my cars never been tuned...To my knowledge everything is installed properly. The car started perfectly on the first try after i installed the tb, plenum and cai with no idle problems whatsoever... I've nad no problems with any of these pieces since the day i installed them 2 years ago :shrug:

The only thing wrong is that i have a couple exhaust leaks from bottoming out the x pipe. I've been driving around with the minor leaks for a while since i've been at college without a jack.

Could this be throwing things off that much? I am running no cats and have MIL eliminators.
I plan on tightening everything up and making sure there are no leaks when i throw on the shorties. Im just wondering if my car will be alright without a tune for a while after the header install.

sorry SjStang00, i wasnt trying to hijack your thread.

commando is the equivalent to the sct proracer from what i understand. commando gives u complete control over everything. with special forces u do not have complete control, its more of a beginner friendly package. u can make changes to the a/f ratio, u can add or remove timing, u can raise idle but not lower it, u can raise the rev limiter but not lower it, same with speed limiter. for the most part special forces is all u will ever need, but if u have an all out race car then commando is what u want. my mods are in my sig and i was able to use special forces along with a wideband, to tune my car what i would call perfectly in a matter of about 7 passes down the 1/8th. its very very easy to use and no other program can match it for the money period. not to mention ur allowed to tune 2 cars with it at the same time, not just one. and for every additional vehicle u wish to tune its $200/car. i bought it and couldnt be happier. i dont see a reason to buy any other program. if u buy from willy at dirtydirty racing he is super helpful in doing anything u need. the program also comes with a datalogger for free.

Question, when your "tuning" the A/F ratio with the "special forces" programmer, are your programming the A/F by RPM or by changing MAF adcounts? Sounds like a little better program than the free SCT extremetune software thats used with an Xcal/2/3. You can do all that, but you just adjust A/F as a whole and not based on RPM range or AD counts. Which is great if your MAF X fer function is setup properly.

Question, when your "tuning" the A/F ratio with the "special forces" programmer, are your programming the A/F by RPM or by changing MAF adcounts? Sounds like a little better program than the free SCT extremetune software thats used with an Xcal/2/3. You can do all that, but you just adjust A/F as a whole and not based on RPM range or AD counts. Which is great if your MAF X fer function is setup properly.

i'm glad i dont have to tune my own car.

i have heard all those terms but have only a vauge idea as to what they mean:nonono:

look in my sig. for a good tuner,you won't find better customer service and the pricing is also great

with the s/f software u have a few options when tuning the a/f ratio. u have the global part throttle a/f ratio, global full throttle a/f ration, then u can fine tune it within 3 rpm ranges. u have low, medium, and high. i cant remember off my head the range for each category, but there is plenty of control over it to get ur tune dialed in where u need it. check out snipertuningforums.com for more info. they have a downloadable tutorial video u can watch before u buy to see what im talking about. its really a great product. u answer a few questions about the bolt ons that are on the car. tell it if ur n/a, s/c, turbo, or nitrous, and it creates a base tune from that information that will get u close. then u drive the car or dyno it to see where its off at and make ur changes from there to get it perfect. the interface box that is used to upload tunes can hold 5 tunes at a time. once u load the tune from ur computer to the box, u do not need the computer to load the tune to ur car. i like it b/c i have nitrous and i can run an n/a tune and a nitrous tune on my box, and switch between the two while at the track without needing my lap top.

the Special Forces tunes by changing both Maf counts and SOLF table both depending on the information you enter into the Special Forces program .....